Honda Service Packages

Mister Paul

Mister Paul

I've just had an advert through for the "new" Honda service packages. They're fixed price, depending on engine size;

Up to 250cc         £375

251-800cc           £599

801 and over       £675

I have a vested interest, as I have an SH300 scooter. And that's the rub. A 300cc scooter isn't much different to a 110 Vision in terms of servicing, but it's £224 more for the package. A single-cylinder 300cc scooter is pretty different to a 750cc bike which is going to do the miles, but servicing is the same cost.

Don't you think Honda could have made this a bit fairer?

Does seem a little 'arbitrary'. Far more sensible to separate conventional scooters into one section, then divide the bikes into capacity classes. 

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Mister Paul said:

I've just had an advert through for the "new" Honda service packages. They're fixed price, depending on engine size;

Up to 250cc         £375

251-800cc           £599

801 and over       £675

I have a vested interest, as I have an SH300 scooter. And that's the rub. A 300cc scooter isn't much different to a 110 Vision in terms of servicing, but it's £224 more for the package. A single-cylinder 300cc scooter is pretty different to a 750cc bike which is going to do the miles, but servicing is the same cost.

Don't you think Honda could have made this a bit fairer?

But rhen what about  a 300cc single bike. Why should that pay more than a 300cc scooter? Hard to find a system that everyone would be happy with.

Mister Paul
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

But rhen what about  a 300cc single bike. Why should that pay more than a 300cc scooter? Hard to find a system that everyone would be happy with.

Yeah, I understand that. It just seems to me that the categories aren't reflective of the costs. 

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

Yeah, I understand that. It just seems to me that the categories aren't reflective of the costs. 

But it is the same as road tax you have to have some way of defining groups. If you don't think it is good value for your scooter then the simple answer is don't buy it. Obviously they are going to good value for some riders who do a decent mileage and not for others who only do a small mileage. It's up to the individual to decide.

Guest aldmannie
3 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

A 300cc scooter isn't much different to a 110 Vision in terms of servicing, but it's £224 more for the package.

Well there is one very obvious difference, if you do more than 2500 miles a year the SH300 has a lower servicing requirement with its 8000 mile service intervals.

Servicing contracts are like PCP, they appeal to people who want a fixed monthly price rather than the best value.

Looking at the plans they run for 27 months, cover three services including the first 600 mile service but do not include wear and tear items like brake pads, chains and sprockets.

Having had a Honda 300 scooter from new which was dealer serviced, I paid:

600 miles: £110ish

8000 miles £130ish

16000 miles £320ish   this is the biggie, drive belt & valve clearances

Those prices were supposedly including all required consumables but the feckers didn't change the drivebelt which later failed on a dual carriageway at 70mph....

If you do less than 4000 miles a year I would recommend finding a cheap independent to do it, they won't need to do very much and you should save around £400 compared to the Honda service plan.

Guest Mac750
9 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Non of them are , that's a lot of money for not a lot.

The official Honda workshop manual (big red book) cost me £40. It shows in detail all you need to know to rebuild the bike or carry out all servicing procedures.

Every bike I have ever owned I have bought ( and later sold in the price of the bike) a Clymer or official manual .

I estimate over the years that single investment per bike has saved me hundreds of pounds.  Granted I bought a non DCT as I wanted a manual version from the get go. But reading the manual the NC range isn't a complicated bike. Well worth doing the servicing myself on a Saturday afternoon than paying £600 a pop. Having mostly owned and services second hand bikes from the age of 14 I'm not concerned about the Honda warranty from my dealer, who by the way cannot fit an exhaust end can correctly from recent experience. 

Edited by Mac750
Andy m

Why would cost relate to selling price? Price is just a reflection of what the market is prepared to pay. Small scooters are used for transport, the running cost can only be a limited amount above a bus ticket. A Ducati with demonic valves would let you add a grand. The owners will love the conversation in the pub about how they just spent half a months salary and the rear cylinders back up thrunging sprocket was out by 10 thou and the dealer had to import coffee from Italy to make the service last a fortnight. They need a simple price structure or both buyer and sales staff will conclude the extra for DCT, discount for naked bikes, surcharge for red wheels etc. is a rip off so won't do it. Imagine how chuffed you'll be when your ZZR800RrS turns out to be 802cc and you are charged accordingly.

All these prices include good margins. They have to include days they'll pay the mechanic to sweep up and drink tea. Mostly they include the feel good factor for people who worry about keeping the warranty simple etc. which is a chargeable item.

If you go for this, read the small print. They can make some items "as required". If the dealer is busy they can decide the oil doesn't need changing, stamp your book and send you on your way. If it blows up they should honour the warranty, but we all know they'll deny everything and claim its because you weren't wearing Honda branded socks. Their lawyers are bigger than yours so Caveat Emptor.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
Rocker66
1 hour ago, Mac750 said:

Non of them are , that's a lot of money for not a lot.

The official Honda workshop manual (big red book) cost me £40. It shows in detail all you need to know to rebuild the bike or carry out all servicing procedures.

Every bike I have ever owned I have bought ( and later sold in the price of the bike) a Clymer or official manual .

I estimate over the years that single investment per bike has saved me hundreds of pounds.  Granted I bought a non DCT as I wanted a manual version from the get go. But reading the manual the NC range isn't a complicated bike. Well worth doing the servicing myself on a Saturday afternoon than paying £600 a pop. Having mostly owned and services second hand bikes from the age of 14 I'm not concerned about the Honda warranty from my dealer, who by the way cannot fit an exhaust end can correctly from recent experience. 

Great if you have the ability and/or inclination to do your own servicing. These days I have no desire to work on my bikes other than the usual checks and I'm sure I'm not alone this. Whether or not something is considered value for money often depends on the individual concerned.

Mister Paul

Thanks all. Well, my mileage has dropped off considerably since I've taken this new job, and it's not likely that I'll have reached the first big service while the bike is still in warranty. So I'll pay for two dealer services and take it to my local (faultless and very cheap) mechanic at 16k miles. 

• Like 1

I'm really failing to see the value in these fixed price service packages. As far as I can see the cost would pretty much be the same (or perhaps even slightly higher) than what I am currently paying for the same services at my dealer. But I am payign in advance and begin locked in/ Much rather the money remained in my pocket/bank than in Honda's until absolutely necessary.

Now if there was some kind of perceived discount for paying in advance I might see the appeal, but as it stand looks like poor value to me

• Like 2

Sounds like a better 'plan' than the Honda one! :D:D 

5 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

Thanks all. Well, my mileage has dropped off considerably since I've taken this new job, and it's not likely that I'll have reached the first big service while the bike is still in warranty. So I'll pay for two dealer services and take it to my local (faultless and very cheap) mechanic at 16k miles. 

• Like 1
Andy m
5 hours ago, Rogue said:

I'm really failing to see the value in these fixed price service packages.

2 for the price 3 Ssssir. Suits you Sssssir. Pay in advance for your convenience Sssssir? No nasty surprises SSssssir. Be a regular Sssssir. 

The assumption that paying in advance would be cheaper is a salesman's dream. There may just be an advantage if you plan to keep the bike for years and service costs are rising. As parts are imported this may currently be the case.

Andy

rjp996

I agree the costs look high,however from a car perspective, i paid £500 for a 3 year / 4 service, service pack on a new Ranger Rover my wife had couple of years ago. Now £500 for 4 services was a fantastic bargain - that's the sort of deal that makes sense.

• Like 1
alhendo1

I think the bike scene is getting more like buying a car....when I was looking for my NC the salesman wanted me to sign up to a 3year pcp deal 0% finance 4k miles per annum...which I didn't. ...but he did suggest that any service packages/add ons etc would attract a bit of a discount.....I can see how it would definitely work in their favour ....bike is returned at the end of agreement in good nick with mileage adhered to and 3 Main dealer stamps in the book ready for the next customer to buy.....

I can see why it would be convenient for some people who like to have a monthly budget though.....

Guest Alibally

I asked about service plans when I bought my bike last year from Two wheels Honda in Edinburgh but they said they don’t do them. I don’t do a big mileage and will probably do the servicing myself once the warranty is up.  I’m a mechanic to trade. 

Looking at at the prices the wouldn’t be cost effective for me anyway. 

Grumpy old man

Before taking out a service plan make sure you are happy with the standard of work from your local Dealer, I didn't 😔.  Bike is out of warranty now so just cancelled it I'll be servicing it myself now.  😊