NC750D Integra chain adjustment?

Guest Mhsilverw

Guest Mhsilverw

After a tour of Scotland wanted to check chain tension.

After a mix if weather, 1400miles the chain has had a clean and re-lubed. Want to check if I am adjusting it correctly.

Mid way seems to mean below the plastic runner on the swinging arm (750 seems to have a different alloy swinging arm to the 700 and S and X - and adjustment inside not at the ends of the swinging arm).

Should it touch the pad (with finger pressure)....?

The hand book, for the 2014 model, says 25-35mm. I cant seem to get it to have total movement of 35mm on the centre stand (using a measure)! 

I seem to have got to about 25mm at tightest point, but that also touches the plastic runner easily with light hand/finger pressure....

It does move ( so its not like a bow string), but any advise from Integra owner would be welcome, to gauge if I have it set right.

Mark

bikerbampi

I think the slack should be when the weight of the bike is on its wheels, not on the centre stand.

Tex

Relax, Mark, it sounds exactly right. As long as you're definitely on the tightest point of the chain (that's important). I was always slightly puzzled by the fact that the chain would touch the rubber pad so easily too.

Peter, no, Honda give that figure for checking on the centre stand on the Integra. You can kiss all that nonsense goodbye with an Explorer - lucky boy! :) 

embee

On the steel swingarm models the chain just touches the underside rubbing strip with light finger pressure when the chain is about right. Obviously as noted the alloy 750 version may well be slightly different, but if you've got around the 30mm of up/down free play on the centre stand (as described in the manual, as Simon says) then it's about right. Don't worry about the chain touching the rubbing strips, that's what they are there for.

If you want to be absolutely sure you need to check it at about half travel of the suspension. This is easier than you might think if you have a centrestand. Put blocks under the wheel. remove one bolt from the rear links of suspension linkage, and lift (heavy) the wheel through its travel. The tightest chain position is where the pivot, wheel spindle and gearbox sprocket are in alignment, around 60mm of lift of the wheel. As a one off check, I adjust the chain at this point such that there is slight free play in the chain (i.e not actually tight), then when dropped back down and the suspension links refitted, check the free play and subsequently use that value for setting when on the centrestand. Around 30-35mm up/down is about right on my 700 Integra, my usual way is to get it so it just touches the rubbing strip, that's the easiest quick check.

Edited by embee
Guest Hati

I found that the Chain Monkey makes it the easiest, removing all the guesswork. Your set the required tension setting on it, clamp onto chain, tighten adjusters to remove all slack, lock wheel into place and remove Chain Monkey. Presto, the perfect chain tension.

By the way the manual states that slack is measured ON THE CENTRE STAND, (yes I am looking at you bikerbampi ;)), not on its wheels.

trisaki

I believe Honda's thinking is if it has a mainstand as STD then that's when chain tension should be done if it only has a side stand as STD then you do the chain tension using that

• Like 1