Oil quantity?

ncmf

Hi, I did an oil change, book says 3.4 litres, I have put 4 in, yet still nothing shows on the dip stick. Gave it a little run, left for 3 mins then dipped again - nothing?! Obviously its not leaking out, whats going on?

There's something not right there then, what have you used to measure the amount of oil you've put in? Is it possible you've lost count as stranger things have happened to the best of us!

I'd drop the oil again and measure what comes out, starting again with a marked 1ltr jug.

No, Im measuring with the bike on the side stand, which is correct?

That would make sense as the dipstick is on the high side when on the sidestand. I didnt think the manual said that though, and mine doesnt have a centrestand, so I would have to hold it up,

There's me assuming folk read the owners manual again. :doh:

post-1-0-28126700-1340625950_thumb.jpg

Guest chasp

Get a freind to sit on your bike and hold it upright I did that for mine to check the oil after its first service (just peace of mind)> will be able to do it solo when my centre stand is fitted

Guest BantamCock

It is a simple matter to wipe the dip stick clean with the bike on side stand. Position the dip stick; then hold the bike in its upright level position (as per manual) for 5seconds or so to wet the stick. Lower back onto side stand and take the stick out to view it (I don't have a friend :cry:)

I did this after Honda 600 mile service and the level was spot on.

• Like 2
Rev Ken

Another good reason to have the centre stand fitted...hang the expense.

Another good reason for it to be fitted as standard!

• Like 1
Rev Ken

Another good reason to have the centre stand fitted...hang the expense.

Another good reason for it to be fitted as standard!

Nope... Keep it off.. in fact - pull even more things off.. All we need is the frame and the engine.

Overhere bikes are heavily taxed based on their standard price (price x 180% vehicle tax x 25% vat) ...

Accessories are only added the 25% vat... So please please please - dont add a tonnes of extras on the bike - we dont mind adding this afterwards!

So lets have a special model for you and a 'proper' model for the rest of us! :frantics:

Guest scrumpymike

According to my dealer, you get an incorrect reading with the bike up on its centre stand. I'd say the easy way out for those of us with centre stands is to get the level right according to the manual (i.e. with both wheels on the ground and bike upright) and then make a mental note what level that gives on the dipstick with the bike on its main stand.

Guest chasp

@ scrumpymike Good point you make when i get my side stand fitted a check with bike upright

and a check with centre stand down should give the level mark/dry-wet bit on the dip stick

to set best practice.

Edited by chasp
Guest martroy

Seems like there's room for a lot of confusion here...and maybe some mechanical mayhem...when I collected my bike, the guy doing the handover specifically said " check the oil level on the the sidestand, it comes with a sidestand as standard so use it " but the owners manual clearly says "Place your motorcycle in an upright position on a firm, level surface". So have Honda issued the dealers with new instructions? I've got a centrestand and on checking the oil it's just over max, so I'll check it upright and off the stand just to see if the nose down attitude on the centrestand makes a difference but I doubt it. Every bike I've ever owned requires the bike to be level when the oils checked, even an ER6F which only comes with a sidestand, so unless I hear otherwise I'll go with the manual.

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

10W/30

OR

10W/40

i USE 10W/40

in taiwan

Taiwan member, welcome.

thank you

Can share the ride feel.I are looking for...

For me the bike is light, there will a little vibration compare to in line 4 engine. No complain at the moment, for daily commuter is good enough for me.

Guest ddg414

10W/30

OR

10W/40

i USE 10W/40

in taiwan

Taiwan member, welcome.

thank you

Can share the ride feel.I are looking for...

For me the bike is light, there will a little vibration compare to in line 4 engine. No complain at the moment, for daily commuter is good enough for me.

thank you

Rev Ken

Seems like there's room for a lot of confusion here...and maybe some mechanical mayhem...when I collected my bike, the guy doing the handover specifically said " check the oil level on the the sidestand, it comes with a sidestand as standard so use it " but the owners manual clearly says "Place your motorcycle in an upright position on a firm, level surface". So have Honda issued the dealers with new instructions? I've got a centrestand and on checking the oil it's just over max, so I'll check it upright and off the stand just to see if the nose down attitude on the centrestand makes a difference but I doubt it. Every bike I've ever owned requires the bike to be level when the oils checked, even an ER6F which only comes with a sidestand, so unless I hear otherwise I'll go with the manual.

WRONG! Think about it, the slightest difference in tyre pressures, or gradient, or load makes a big difference to the 'angle of lean' using the side stand, hence the apparent level of the oil. There will be a lot less variation between standing the bike upright or putting it on to the centre stand - in fact it would be good if someone would let us know what the difference is! Your handbook is correct - but where did that goon come from?

Guest martroy

I agree with you Rev, complete bunkum, but I'm experienced enough to know better as are you, my concern is someone with less bike knowledge will take this as gospel, not read the owners manual and not question the statement and overfill they're bike with oil, causing mechanical damage or even physical harm if it gets anywhere near the back tyre. The only good thing is, the crankcase breather tube seems to exit up under the left front of the engine and draining it is on the service schedule so if it starts filling up with oil, as it would with a high oil level,you might just get a bit of warning.

Guest scrumpymike

Nice one motorboy! The only thing that surprises me is that $multi-billion Honda (and its competitors) can't find a way way to raise the game of their dealerships. I'm sure they're not all bad, but this is definitely the weakest link and must cost the manufacturers (and customers) a fortune.

Guest GeoffMeade

Just covered 1,000 miles on my NC700X. Decided to check oil for the first time since it was changed at 600m service. What's this? Dipstick bone dry and torch shown no sign of oil inside! Gradually poured in about one pint, checking regularly. Oil now only just showing on bottom of measure. Then the penny dropped. With only a side stand I've been reading the level with the bike leant over. Will try tip suggested above above tomorrow and hold bike upright for a while to centre the oil level. G