Honda NC700x starting issues

fazer69

1 hour ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

If my 700X is in neutral it turns over and starts when it is on its side stand.

Correct. It will also start when in gear if you hold the clutch in. But it won't start in gear with the side stand down. Or, to put it another way, if you start it on the side stand in neutral and then try to select a gear it'll stop. :) 

Anyone know of a downloadable manual for the NC700x?

It's just struck me that after nearly 4 years of ownership and I've never bought a Haynes manual for her.

I just tried that auction site and I can't seem to find one, very bizarre, I think my search terms were correct.

Thanks in advance. 

Guest bonekicker

fazer69 if you make a donation to the forum--you can get a downloadable manual--from the downloads --at top of page.:thumbsup: also a parts manual.  

Okay, next instalment and I think the last.

It was not the solenoid, I was receiving a false positive because of how I worked on the bike!

It is 100% (well 50/50) the side stand switch or possible wear within the side stand where the switch connects.

For the time being I've fixed the switch in the stand up position and will source a switch, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the stand itself, as she starts perfect in the stand up position.

I have a NC700X, but it has the NC700 side stand as I've lowered the bike 4 years ago and the NC700 comes with a shorter stand, that compensated well for the lowering links and fork drop.

So glad the annoyance is over! :frantics: 

Big thanks to everyone who advised and hope this helps somebody in the future.

Edited by fazer69

If you want to get a second hand sidestand switch, the actual switch unit is common to many (most?) Honda (and many other makes come to that), and the connector plug is very common too. What varies is usually the length of the wires attached to it, and any clips etc on the cable. You can use a switch from a different model if the wires are long enough, or you have the ability to cut/solder the connector plug end from your defunct switch to the replacement. Up to you. The auction site has gazillions of sidestand switches advertised for just a few ££ usually.

• Like 1
SteveThackery

Guys, I'm still confused.  If the bike starts perfectly with the stand up, and is designed to start with the stand down provided it's in neutral, then how can it be the sidestand switch?

• 8 months later...
Guest DAHA

Howdy to you boys on the other side of the pond. I have a 2012 NC700X which I bought used in 2014 and I've been having issues from almost day one with a PGM warning light. However, a couple of the issues were my fault (loose terminal connections and a poorly installed set of accessory horns--which has all been fixed). But, my problem with the PGM engine light coming on while riding has resurfaced. I can still ride the bike with the PGM warning light on, but at a noticeably reduced power level. (my exhaust note gurgles too) Very frustrating reoccurring issue. My bike does have a lot of miles on it, 7474 when I purchased it 4 years ago and just turned 95K (I have a long commute and the bike is my only trans).

Well, I found your forum in a search relating to my issues and it's given me some good tips on what to check. Also in my search I came across a link to a recall issued by Honda. https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/honda-issues-own-massive-recall-because-of-a-faulty-starter-relay-switch-ar170627.html  While my model year isn't covered, I'm going to assume that my issues could still be related to the starter relay. My symptoms with the PGM light (the orange engine warming light) is two fold: 1) hard starting sometimes and 2) loss of all power when I stab the electric starter. My bike had been running perfect for the last year or so since my last go-around with the PGM issue. But the hard starting has been very persistent. I'll look into just replacing the relay to see if this solves the problem or not. I'll update with another post if that works or not.

But, good to know I'm not the only one who has this freaking problem. What really frosts me though is that my bike has been in and out of the Honda dealer half a dozen times over the last 3 years and nobody has said one word about a recall. You'd think that would be the FIRST thing they'd tell me as soon as I explained the problem. You'd think they'd know if a recall existed (or at least did a check to see if there were any outstanding recalls on the bike).

wendeg

Is battery healthy? Not just giving 'good' voltage but healthy.

embee
11 hours ago, DAHA said:

..... I have a 2012 NC700X which I bought used in 2014 and I've been having issues from almost day one ............... 2) loss of all power when I stab the electric starter. 

Mine is a 2012 700 Integra. I had a problem with the connector block which joins the kill switch to the main loom, it's a foot or so away from the handlebars somewhere in the top fairing area, depending on model. Two of the pins were tarnished and failed to make contact, thus making the bike as though the kill switch was permanently off. At least one other owner has had the same issue. Worth a check.

I just scraped the pins with a suitable thin needle file and doused it in contact cleaner, then fitted/removed the connector several times to work the pins clean.

It's also worth checking the cleanliness of the main earthing point where a host of wires go to one bolt, it's somewhere near the front left side of the riders seat under some plastic.

Guest DAHA

Battery is about 6 mos old and is on the charger every night. The issue with difficult starting didn't change any after the new battery was installed. But the other major issue is the PGM warning light. That's my main problem (but both issues could be related to the same thing). I'll check the connections under the cowling; The kill switch seems to be a logical possible cause since frequently I lose power when I hit the starter. 

• 2 years later...

I had starting problems with my 2012 x . It sometimes took 5 or 6 pokes on the starter to get it running. After finding this post I swapped the starter relay with a secondhand one from fleabay and since then I have had no problems. So it looks like the starter relay could be a weak spot. I thought I would mention it for anyone else who has the same problem.