Lack of grease

trisaki

trisaki

Just serviced another NC, with 2000 miles on the clock 15 plate  (not been used for a while ) and guess what NO  grease on suspension links  so repacked and torqued up   good to go for a while now 

• Like 5
outrunner

When I changed the crap Dunlops on my 2016X both wheel spindles were bone dry making them a bit hard to remove.:hmm:

Andy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

TheEnglishman

Yea, mine was like that.  Swing arm bearings and centre stand shaft too.  

2 hours ago, trisaki said:

Just serviced another NC, with 2000 miles on the clock 15 plate  (not been used for a while ) and guess what NO  grease on suspension links  so repacked and torqued up   good to go for a while now 

What grease have you used? 

trisaki

I used this time corrosion block  normally use chassis moly grease  but heard good things about corrosion block believe it's made by the same people who make acf50

• Like 1

I was thinking of sending Honda a few pots of grease, seems they use very little of it. Probably a health and safety thing in the factories.

Previous bikes, Bandit 650, Swing125, VanVan125, Deauville 700, NC700X, Beverly350 all required some protection from the all year British weather, I now use ACF50, copper grease, moly paste, heavy duty and LM grease on all the parts the factory misses before the rot sets in. 

If I buy another new bike, I know I would have to spend hours doing preventative maintenance to bring it up to the standard of the bike I've just traded in. so I'm inclined to keep hold of my bikes much longer these days. 

Some things have got better, ie Batteries and Stainless Steel exhausts, powder coated wheels, so 'H' finish the build properly 

Jeffprince

Is there an idiots guide to what I should be looking for, to prevent this issue? I take it we are not talking about grease nipples here. 

fj_stuart

My first bike - a 1972 Yamaha CS5E 200cc twin - had a grease nipple on the swinging arm (and plastic bushes for bearings?) Unfortunately it was the only bike I've owned that was so equipped.

F.Honda750xd

I've done 3.5k on my 16 x and always thought the rear suspension was a bit jarring until a couple of weeks ago I used acf50 liberally on the dog bones and behind the shock sock now the difference is definitely noticeable. Must have been dry. Made me go all round bike checking other places. Question. Is it possible to grease or oil wheel bearings without having to undo or take of anything. 

Just the modern way (sadly). My Triumph Sprint (last of the carburettor models) had grease nipples everywhere. Last 100 years those buggers will.  But when the fuel injection models came out the grease nipples disappeared.. 

Haven't seen a grease nipple on a car for years. Just not the 'modern way'. If any current motorcycle has them I would expect it to be Royal Enfield, maybe an owner can advise?

Frank, does sound as though your suspension needs a grease up. Have a word with Mark. Maybe get him to do it when he has his Macmillan coffee morning next month?

Rev Ken
5 minutes ago, Tex said:

Just the modern way (sadly). My Triumph Sprint (last of the carburettor models) had grease nipples everywhere. Last 100 years those buggers will.  But when the fuel injection models came out the grease nipples disappeared.. 

Haven't seen a grease nipple on a car for years. Just not the 'modern way'. If any current motorcycle has them I would expect it to be Royal Enfield, maybe an owner can advise?

Frank, does sound as though your suspension needs a grease up. Have a word with Mark. Maybe get him to do it when he has his Macmillan coffee morning next month?

My 1935 Triumph Gloria Southern Cross had a series of grease nipples along the engine bulkhead so it was a simple task to grease almost everything, except the propshaft which required crawling under the car and finding the grease nipples. A mate of mine had an old Daimler that had an oil reservoir that pumped oil into various parts of his car every time he went over a bump. He worked in and Admiralty research establishment in Bushey Park along a very rough road and you could always see where he parked at work! Oh and my Morgan +4 had what looked like a dip switch which I had to remember to press occasionally to pump hot engine oil into the front suspension sliding pillars. 

I don't miss 'high maintenance' vehicles, but only if manufacturers make effective sealed components and pack them properly!

• Like 1
SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

My 1935 Triumph Gloria Southern Cross had a series of grease nipples along the engine bulkhead so it was a simple task to grease almost everything, except the propshaft which required crawling under the car and finding the grease nipples. A mate of mine had an old Daimler that had an oil reservoir that pumped oil into various parts of his car every time he went over a bump. He worked in and Admiralty research establishment in Bushey Park along a very rough road and you could always see where he parked at work! Oh and my Morgan +4 had what looked like a dip switch which I had to remember to press occasionally to pump hot engine oil into the front suspension sliding pillars. 

All quite ingenious, really.  I think one of my Dad's old bangers had a similar grease pump system, but actuated by the clutch pedal.

Guest Mac750

My Triumph Herald used oil in the front suspension joints not grease. I was stood looking at it with a grease gun in hand and the old chap over the road came out and put me wise. 

Old Lambretta series ones and twos had grease nipple's on the cable outers under the scooter.

And my CB 550 had one on the swing arm pivot from memory.