Front sprocket offset

howard

Having noticed a clicking sound whilst wheeling my NC700x in and out of garage I decided it must be time for new chain/sprockets ! Parts ordered and promptly arrived, I stripped down tonight to start renewal of said parts and re grease swinging arm bearings etc. All was going well until I noticed the new supplied non genuine sprocket is offset ! Rough measurements, if fitted one way its 2mm closer to engine and if reversed its about 4mm further outward than original. I will contact supplier tomorrow just incase its a schoolboy error on their behalf but if not satisfied with reply I shall get a genuine Honda item. 

If anyone is fitting non genuine sprockets, please check its same as original as this could have been a nasty outcome ! 

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Well spotted--could you put a straight edge on front and rear sprocket to see if either of the offsets do make the sprockets line up better--or worst --just a thought:ermm:

Supplied sprocket was JT !! Have now ordered genuine Honda so fingers crossed 😉

Is it going to make that much difference? What nasty outcome do you have in mind? Don't forget the front sprocket has some float and the chain will flex anyway in its travel between the front and rear sprockets. I think that having the chain too slack is more dangerous than a small amount of sprocket offset. If I'm wrong and i'm only trying to justify my recent purchase of 2 JT sprockets then I apologise.

SteveThackery
15 hours ago, howard said:

.......if fitted one way its 2mm closer to engine and if reversed its about 4mm further outward than original.

Ah, there's the problem.  You should have inverted it, not reversed it.  Fancy you not knowing that.  ;)

OK, I'll get my coat.......

Sprocket misalignment will wear out the chain prematurely. Don't dumb down its importance. I wouldn't be happy with that difference either, but I suppose I am a perfectionist ..:blink:

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 2

Problem overcome now with genuine Honda sprocket! Great service from GTmotorcles ordered sprocket on Friday,they called me Saturday to say its arrived 😁.

Looking more into why supplied non genuine sprocket is offset, I don't believe its a JT item ? Looking at their catalogue there should be a part number on the sprocket but there isn't? Rear sprocket was in branded package but not the front ! Going to message supplier and give them fair chance to rectify and hopefully prevent repeat mistake to other customers! 

I have a 16T (NC700) JT gearbox sprocket sitting in a spares drawer and it is symmetrical, like the Honda OE item. The main difference is the number of holes in it, which for me is a bit of an issue because I have an oiling "cone" bolted to the OE item and it won't fit the JT ............ :doh: . I either need to make another cone or get an OE sprocket when the time comes.

As you say, it sounds like the one sent to you isn't a JT.

old commuter

I am always impressed by bthe scary mechanics people are capable on this site. Wish I had that amount of courage.

Guest machinman
3 hours ago, embee said:

I have a 16T (NC700) JT gearbox sprocket sitting in a spares drawer and it is symmetrical, like the Honda OE item. The main difference is the number of holes in it, which for me is a bit of an issue because I have an oiling "cone" bolted to the OE item and it won't fit the JT ............ :doh: . I either need to make another cone or get an OE sprocket when the time comes.

Likewise, I've checked mine and they are symmetrical, small JT logo on one side.

10 hours ago, embee said:

What's an oiling cone? First time I've heard of such a thing.

Tis a magical home made device made by THE Man, i have the drawing but not the  lump of metal yet to make one.

I will do it soon as no place on the X-ADV to put a normal type of oiler..

2 hours ago, djsb said:

What's an oiling cone? First time I've heard of such a thing.

I have a PD Oiler feeding the oil into a conical collector bolted to the sprocket. It delivers the oil onto the sprocket then out to the chain, out of the wind and dirt.

IMG_3964 resize.jpg

• Like 1
Guest Mac750
On 20/08/2017 at 22:18, howard said:

Problem overcome now with genuine Honda sprocket! Great service from GTmotorcles ordered sprocket on Friday,they called me Saturday to say its arrived 😁.

Looking more into why supplied non genuine sprocket is offset, I don't believe its a JT item ? Looking at their catalogue there should be a part number on the sprocket but there isn't? Rear sprocket was in branded package but not the front ! Going to message supplier and give them fair chance to rectify and hopefully prevent repeat mistake to other customers! 

+1 for GT motorcycles ( is this the Plymouth branch in Devon)  I have been really pleased with the service I have had from them.  Unlike the other crowd in Cornwall.  

Yes Mac 750, GT's in Plymouth ! Also gave me an excuse to have lunch in their "legends cafe" yesterday which is first class 😉

MikeBike
On 18/08/2017 at 09:58, howard said:

Supplied sprocket was JT !! Have now ordered genuine Honda so fingers crossed 😉

Who was the supplier? I've just ordered some from Busters / M&P.

Hi MikeBike, I don't want to get into shaming supplier until I have given them fair chance to resolve the issue as I am sure its a genuine mistake! 

My NC riding smoothly now with DID X ring chain, JT rear sprocket and genuine Honda front 😉

22 hours ago, embee said:

I have a PD Oiler feeding the oil into a conical collector bolted to the sprocket. It delivers the oil onto the sprocket then out to the chain, out of the wind and dirt.

IMG_3964 resize.jpg

So, the PD oiler feeds the oil into the centre of the contraption and the oil spins out under centrifugal force and escapes in between the (I assume) spaces between the bolts onto the chain. Is the oil just drip fed into the middle of the cylinder or is it fed in some other way? What are the bolts attached to on the other side of the sprocket? Is it a disc with regularly spaced threaded holes for the bolts?

I really like the idea and it's a good idea to keep the oil feed away from the wind and rain. Are you willing to share any more details?

The Scottoiler cycle oiler uses a similar method by feeding oil into a custom jockey wheel on the deraileur. The oil then spins out onto the chain under centifugal force.

Edited by djsb
  • Like 1

Pretty much spot-on in all respects David. It's just a collector and spinner in effect.

Yes, there's a similar disc on the other side of the sprocket drilled and tapped, so no nuts to come loose. Each side disc has a thin rib which sits at the centreline of the holes in the sprocket so allows the oil to get past the rib by going into the holes and out again. I put a small plug of oil resistant foam in the holes so it (hopefully) ensures some of the oil gets across to the other side. The holes the bolts go through have small spacer sleeves simply to centralise the M5 bolts in the larger holes, this is what locates the device centrally (more or less).

There's a thin rib round the outside of each disc which is just visible so any oil drips not on the sprocket itself get flung off onto the sideplates (in theory anyway).

The OE sprocket has 12 holes, I used 6 bolts. The JT sprocket has 8 holes so ....................

I also fabricated a guard welded onto the chain security plate (the curved plate which stops the chain bunching and smashing the engine if it happens to break) to collect oil fling, it has a drain tube at the bottom end to drip oil out away from the bike. It reduces (not eliminates) the amount of oil collecting in the space behind the cover. The bit of mesh at the top is to collect any stray oil off the top chain run but is flimsy enough that it won't do any damage should it ever get caught by the chain, it will just fold under.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
MikeBike

On 17/08/2017 at 23:29, howard said:

Having noticed a clicking sound whilst wheeling my NC700x in and out of garage I decided it must be time for new chain/sprockets ! Parts ordered and promptly arrived, I stripped down tonight to start renewal of said parts and re grease swinging arm bearings etc. All was going well until I noticed the new supplied non genuine sprocket is offset ! Rough measurements, if fitted one way its 2mm closer to engine and if reversed its about 4mm further outward than original. I will contact supplier tomorrow just incase its a schoolboy error on their behalf but if not satisfied with reply I shall get a genuine Honda item. 

If anyone is fitting non genuine sprockets, please check its same as original as this could have been a nasty outcome ! 

I have just ordered replacement JT sprockets from Busters Accessories.

What arrived was a rear sprocket marked AFAM (not JT)

Front Sprocket no name and has offset described with gear not being central.

Phoned to return and they said they didnt specify a brand. I said they did as product description talks about JT quality..

I tried to ask what is happening as someone else has same thing happen. Got standard answer selling lots and I should send a letter with the return...

THey will send a returns label and hopefully I'll get a refund.

I wont be dealing with them again. Lesson learned thanks to Howard for pointing out. Genuine Honda Parts for me now.

usabikes

I think AFAM are one of the better quality & more expensive items so I imagine the rear sprocket should be fine if that's a help.

Like usabikes says, rear sprocket will probably be fine ! I didn't find Busters too helpful on phone either !! Have emailed them photos (5 days ago ) but still awaiting reply. Front sprocket was £12 so its not really about the loss but I wanted to prevent them from further mistakes ! Honda sprocket was £40 but its correct and looks much better quality with different profiling on the teeth! 

MikeBike
1 hour ago, howard said:

Like usabikes says, rear sprocket will probably be fine ! I didn't find Busters too helpful on phone either !! Have emailed them photos (5 days ago ) but still awaiting reply. Front sprocket was £12 so its not really about the loss but I wanted to prevent them from further mistakes ! Honda sprocket was £40 but its correct and looks much better quality with different profiling on the teeth! 

Just phone them up and say that they sent the wrong item and you need to them to organise return as it's not what was ordered (there is a diagram on the page, and it says JT everywhere on the description. They will send you a pre-paid DPD returns label to stick on the packet and you take it to a local collection point (I used Halfords) within minutes  I got confirmation it was on its way back to them.

Probably more clout when the look at reasons for return rather than the guy handling (or not) customer emails. Soon you're time to return will run out so get it back as a matter of principle and so it gets logged in their system. Why all these returns for item XYZ.

I'm not happy dealing with a company that advertises one thing and sends another, tries to wiggle one item is unbranded and clearly not suitable.

Order one thing recommended and get  one thing that Probably / should be fine  and one thing that probably wont be - Nah not on my bike thanks.  Not for a few £'s

Got my JT 17 tooth front sprocket from B and C express over a year ago.It arrived in a thick sealed JT labelled plastic bag. Got the DID X-RING G&B 520VX2/112 and ZBK REAR SPROCKET 39TOOTH from Busters. They emailed me soon after the order was placed to say the rear sprocket was out of stock. I told them I was in no rush and the sprocket arrived about a week after the chain. Both the ones that I ordered arrived and the rear sprocket is a JT sprocket. This is the first time I've ordered from them so maybe they give new customers more attention. A bit short sighted if that's the case or maybe it's because it's the holiday season and they are short staffed. Who knows, got what I wanted so I'm happy.