Reluctant Starter

Rick

Not sure if it's just me, but occasionally when I press the starter button the motor hesitates then sometimes starts or I have to try again, it sounds a bit like a flat battery. The bike's new so I will return to the dealer, but just wondered it this had happened to anyone  else?

SteveThackery

No help, I know, but I bought mine from new and it's never done that.  Definitely worth getting the dealer to look at it.

Worth just checking the battery terminals are tight. Wouldn't be the first time the PDI missed that.

• Haha 1
  • Sigh 1
  • 5 years later...

I have the same problem as Rick had.

Sometimes the starter hesitates. Sometimes it starts. Sometimes it doesn't bother at all. After a few dabs it will always start, I just have to be patient.

My battery is fine and the battery connections are all tight. Other than a faulty button I'm at a loss.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Rick, if you are still on the forum, did this get resolved?

Andy m

Rick doesn't seem to be still about.

Check the earth, both main from the battery negative and from the starter motor. The easiest way can often be to take a jump lead from battery negative to frame and then starter motor case to frame. If the problem goes away with the jumper in place you have some rewiring to do.

Andy 

21 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Rick doesn't seem to be still about.

Check the earth, both main from the battery negative and from the starter motor. The easiest way can often be to take a jump lead from battery negative to frame and then starter motor case to frame. If the problem goes away with the jumper in place you have some rewiring to do.

Andy 

Thanks Andy, I'll have a look during the week.