6th gear chatter NCX manual

Spindizzy

Spindizzy

Folks

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed the difference in sound when in 6th gear?

Mines always done it and its no bother, just curious as to why. It sound a bit like the chain but only does it in 6th gear. 1st to 5th the engine/transmission sounds much the same, but 6th around 50/60 has a very slight 'chatter'. Nothing horrendous but if you are in 5th at the same speed it goes, its not rev related as no other gear does it.  Normally don't notice it with earplugs in but today didn't have them in as was riding slower with SWMBO riding shotgun.

Pretty sure its some kind of pulse/resonance with the chain, little bit louder on acceleration or uphill. 

Not worried, just curious.

Gurus do your thing...

PoppetM

Clearly not on the hairdryer if you are concerned about 6th gear ;)

Mine makes a noise between 48-52 mph in 6th if I have rolled off the throttle (usually only notice it where the M3 slows under the M25) so I ignore the rev colours and change back down to fifth. But generally above 50 and accelerating she is happy in 6th and doesn't make the noise. 

I though the bike was quiet until it last Saturday without the ear plugs - it sounded like a beast, in a good way :) 

trisaki

I think it's slightly labouring /  mine if I back off slightly in 6th especially with a pillion - and then open up it won't have it so drop to 5th  and allsorts fine - most modern 4 valve engines much prefer about  4 thousand  revs to pull cleanly and to sound right 

• Like 2
Spindizzy
10 minutes ago, trisaki said:

I think it's slightly labouring /  mine if I back off slightly in 6th especially with a pillion - and then open up it won't have it so drop to 5th  and allsorts fine - most modern 4 valve engines much prefer about  4 thousand  revs to pull cleanly and to sound right 

I suppose it could be. But at 3k revs on the flat that seems  unusual. Maybe I will reserve 6th for 50 plus mph. I have been driving a diesel too long perhaps :D

Keep 6th as an overdrive....for those that remember those :oldfart:

Yes, I keep mine above 3K all the time, smooth, quick and still 80mpg+. I drive a Golf TDI diesel too, and find it best to keep that around 2k revs. 67mpg on a long run, makes the NC seem poor really.

• Like 1
Spindizzy

Sounds like I need to modify my riding a bit. Will see how I get on enroute to Loomies tomorrow.

My aircraft engineering brain is used to constant rpm with power changes, probably why I also like CVT. Never too late to learn.

On the subject o diesel economy, our Fabia Greenline gets 75mpg on a run, the Volvo diesel 63. I will miss diesels...

Jeffprince

I find 6th gear quite agricultural. Certainly a different feeling when changing from 5th at all but relatively fast speeds.

• Like 1

I find sixth a bit high a gear for 50 or less. It does sound rougher, its sweeter in 5th at 50. Sixth is fine at motorway speeds tough.

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1

I just think modern engines are more economical if kept spinning around the peak torque rpm rather than trying to use to high a gear. As for diesels, I wonder if they really will disappear or will the Arabs find a way to keep their market alive, they seem to be very good at getting  their way with other governments.