Grind/Groaning/Droning noise

Guest James Russell

Guest James Russell

Hello All,

Had bike serviced a few weeks ago. Full service and two new tyres. Also asked them to fid a fenda extender. Rode home and could hear a noise (I'm a bit weird and once I hear something, I can't unhear it, if you know what I mean) which I thought was coming from the extender. So got home and when I realized they had only glued it on, I pulled it off (that's another story).

Anyway noise stayed. Not loud. Could only hear it at about 40-50mph. Once on the motorway the wind noise drowned it out. Anyway I THINK it's getting louder. Which leads me to think it's a wheel bearing or something. But a) why has this only start making a noise since the service, and b> the posts I have read said they should last much longer.

Any ideas?

Grumpy old man

Hi 

Could it be tyre noise the NC, especially the X, tends to really magnify tyre noise and the new tyres just might be noisy . Grinding doesn't sound right, are the brakes ok?

Edited by Grumpy old man
Guest James Russell

I did wonder if it was tyre noise. I have gone from the PR4's to PR3's. Feel's like the PR3's are better. But that might just be because I squared off my last set.

It's not grinding. Not sure how to describe it really. It's hasn't affected the handling of the bike at all.

SteveThackery

I'm 99% sure this is just tyre noise.  Very noisy indeed on the X.

Dunnster

If it were the tyre's would it make a grinding noise? 

Can you hear anything when you spin the wheels whilst stationary, no binding of the brakes. Having taken the wheels off to fit the new tyre's, wheel spacers not the correct way round or suchlike might be an issue. Hopefully not but worth checking. 

Chain tension correct and aligned properly?

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
3 hours ago, James Russell said:

Ok thanks for the comments. Will try to stop stressing about it! HA

I know exactly what you mean it's not easy to stop stressing I sometimes wonder if it's worth the hassle of having a  bike but then I go for a ride in the Borders:yes: 

trisaki

Chain over tightened  turn wheel by hand do a least one full revolution  checking for tightness  every inch or so 

I'm with Mark, money on chain too tight. Just a guess .......................

trisaki
12 hours ago, ChrisS said:

James, could the grinding noise be your teeth after paying for the service...?

😁😂like it 

Guest James Russell

Hello,

So got home last night and decided to roll the bike down the hill near my house with the engine off. There was a distinct clicking/ticking noise coming from the rear of the bike. Can't tell is it's the wheel or chain. Also not sure if this is normal, as obviously have never ridden the bike without the engine on. Although when I have cleaned the chain before, I am sure it never made that noise as I span the wheel around.

Best suggestion I can make its to stick it on the centre stand and spin the rear wheel by hand.  Also check chain  tension in several places  (always mid point between front and rear sprocket but rotating the chain to look for tight spots, check for alignment too. Trisaki is quite likely right the problem is with the chain. 

If the chain is too tight it could cause damage if not corrected. 

I also have a Integra (2/2014).

Begin this year maintenance and other tyres (Road2) at 18326 km.

Now I have 20700 km and I have the same problem/noise.

chain ?

brakes ?

bearing ? yes I think so

I also think the noise is coming louder.

sandalfarm

I found the pr4s noisier than the previous tyres especially on some road surfaces, does give a droning noise

Rocker66
1 hour ago, sandalfarm said:

I found the pr4s noisier than the previous tyres especially on some road surfaces, does give a droning noise

When I changed my Dunlops for PR4s the other week I found the ride home quieter.

Guest James Russell

Hi All,

I have requested that the garage has the bike back to check it over. This noise has only start since my service, so it would be interesting to see what the issue is. I have told that doing a 70 mile commute each day, that I don't feel safe on it. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out??

Thanks,

James

Grumpy old man

Hi James

Has it been solved?

Guest amiga-mark

had the same on an X9 - taking the wheel off and on at service (new tyres) had dmaged or moved the front wheel bearing and it rumbled, and at high speed wobbled. So definately check bearing on rear just in case.

commuter

Looking upon the humourous side, grinding , groaning droning noise, you haven't got a politician caught in the wheels have you?

Seriously, to rule out the brakes, run the bike to produce the noise and gently apply both brakes to see if the noise disappears.

Another possibility, are the tyre rotation arrows showing correct rotation?