Paddock Stand

Bigglesaircraft

Bigglesaircraft

Has anyone had the use of a Paddock stand, your thoughts and opinions would help me in deciding if to buy one and which type.

rjp996

I have the oxford 'delux' I think it's called. Works fine, if a little adjusting is needed to get the swing arm support out of the way of the rear hand break on the DCT. 

Last ime I had my swim arm off I was tempted to drill and tap it (or weld a captive nut) on to accept paddock stand adaptors to make it easier - but never got around to it. 

Grumpy old man

Fit a centre stand😉

Guest bonekicker

David as Lloyd says to fit a centre stand--far safer and more useful--forget about the extra couple of pounds in weight you will be carrying around :thumbsup:

Bigglesaircraft

I have fitted a centre stand which has improved the ability to carry out some activities but for some others it actually gets in the way. Hence the need to find another solution for self maintenance and servicing.

rjp996

although I have Paddock stands, on my NC, I almost always just use the center stand - great for everything from Chain maintenance, taking the swing arm off etc. I use a paddock stand on the front however when taking off the front wheel (useful). When I stripped down the front forks, I just used the center stand and tied a rope from the front yoke up to the garage rafters.... so with the center stand and a will.... you can do most things.

Grumpy old man
5 hours ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

I have fitted a centre stand which has improved the ability to carry out some activities but for some others it actually gets in the way. Hence the need to find another solution for self maintenance and servicing.

Hi

I find it gets in the way when measuring chain slack on the side stand but when else do you find it a hinderence.

suffolk58

I used to use a paddock stand years ago, when I had my (awful) Aprilia.

I was always terrified the bike would topple off it, as I hoiked it up.

It never did.

I also used to get my wife to stand next to the bike, to catch it if, it did fall.

However, I'm sure if it had stated to topple, she would have backed away and just let it fall.

• Haha 1
Finlayson99

I use the Oxford paddock stand as I don't have a centre stand.

Works fine for me

Slowboy

Just bought a Warrior rear paddock stand from that website that shall not be named for £19.69 delivered for my CRF 250 Rally. (No centrestand option at all) Definitely man enough for the NC range and no need to muck about with bobbins. Decent bit of kit for the money.

• Like 1
wingrider.steve
On 03/10/2017 at 22:12, Bigglesaircraft said:

Has anyone had the use of a Paddock stand, your thoughts and opinions would help me in deciding if to buy one and which type.

I have a BikeGrab:-

https://www.on-bike.com/product/motorcycle-wheel-chock-bikegrab-stand/

BG-BikeGrab-13-600x600.jpg

Edited by wingrider.steve

Yup have a couple, used them for years as most of my bikes have not had centre stands or anywhere to fit them, in fact I had my lads MT03 propped on front and rear stands at the weekend

with both wheels removed for new tyres to be fitted.

Simple and easy to use and I've never had a bike topple off even when doing fairly extensive work over a period of time. I do have an issue with my Africa Twin in that neither of my paddock stands is quite tall enough unless I use the 'cups' to support the swinging arm rather than the hooks (that I bought and fitted expensive bobbins for!), I've never really used these 'cup' supports much before, so far they seem okay but would prefer to locate onto the bobbins with hooks so may look out for a slightly taller (only about an inch) stand.

TheEnglishman

Fit a center stand.  I've had the front and back off the bike and it got in the way of nothing.  

The Abba system that fits into the swing arm nuts is great.  Until you want to take the swing arm off.  Then you've got to fit it to the foot peg mounts, which is more pfaff.

Fit a center stand, like others have said.  I use a bottle jack to lift the front and tether the handle bars to the roof trusses for a bit of added safety.  Not that I've ever needed it. 

stephenmcg

I too have centre stand fitted, I took it off old 700x and fitted it to my 750x.

i also have the added bonus that it can be set on a bike mover and moved around garage very easily.

i got this late 1990's and have used it on a variety of bikes.

i can even tuck bike flat against back wall of garage if I want to put car in as well.

with my old dv650 and the dv700, the extra clearance allowed a slightly easier removal of rear wheel.

the one I have has double castors at 4 corners, others have got cheaper ones with single castors but these appear a bit flimsy. 

Smcg back in cold glasgow

• Like 1