Torque settings for brake discs.

Guest PeterNon

Guest PeterNon

Hello all NC owners,
I have painted the rims and now I need to know the torque settings for the front and back brake discs. Would be great if someone could provide them for me.
Best regards Peter

TheEnglishman

Service manual says 42nm, front and back.  Also says 'ALOC bolt; replace with a new one.'

So I guess there's thread lock involved.

• Like 1

I found it felt it was close to stripping the threads on those settings. I do not use new bolts or thread lock I just put some scratch marks to check for movement..all ok 20000 miles later, I will be on front disc number 3 soon. I use part worn ones from auction sites

Guest machinman
1 hour ago, kharli said:

I found it felt it was close to stripping the threads on those settings. I do not use new bolts or thread lock I just put some scratch marks to check for movement..all ok 20000 miles later, I will be on front disc number 3 soon. I use part worn ones from auction sites

Likewise, i just replaced a rear disc and one of the bolts stripped before the torque wrench clicked out.

Andy m

Sounds like a prime candidate for helicoiling before it goes. The helicoil is far tougher than the surrounding "alloy" and if over torqued will often spring out saving the expensive bit. 

We used to do this on new exotic material pump castings. Steel takes a thread far better than molybdenum whatsit, fancy stainless, monkey metal etc. Honda of course won't pay for the extra process time and would like you to buy a new wheel when they go, hence they tap in directly.

Andy

Guest machinman
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Sounds like a prime candidate for helicoiling before it goes. The helicoil is far tougher than the surrounding "alloy" and if over torqued will often spring out saving the expensive bit. 

We used to do this on new exotic material pump castings. Steel takes a thread far better than molybdenum whatsit, fancy stainless, monkey metal etc. Honda of course won't pay for the extra process time and would like you to buy a new wheel when they go, hence they tap in directly.

Andy

Do you think there is room to insert a helicoil into the wheel, the walls look quite thin? 

I've never used a helicoil before.

Andy m

The helicoil drill is one size up and you need a wall thickness at least the radius of the hole.

The process is simple if you buy the kit. Drill out letting the drill follow the hole. Tap oversize using plenty of lube and two finger force only (snap the tap in the hole and you are well and truely juggered). Load the helicoil on the coat hanger tool and twist into the hole. Give it a sharp bang with the handle of a screwdriver to snap the tang you are turning it on and Rajeev's your mothers brother. If you've never done one, buy a bit of ally block from the auction site to practice on, the kits have 5 or 10 coils so use one or two as a dry run.

If the wall is that thin you are right not to try it though.

Andy

Guest machinman

Il buy a kit and have a play on some scrap alloy, il put the verniers across the mounting holes and see if its doable.

What is the benefit of new bolts (which i used)?

Is it the pre installed loctite? Surely they aren't stretch bolts going in to a soft material.

Andy m

Loctite works better on new bolts and one new thread form can repair one thats lightly deformed.

Andy

Guest machinman
31 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Loctite works better on new bolts and one new thread form can repair one thats lightly deformed.

Andy

Thanks for clarifying 🖒