NC750S 2014 Battery remove

Guest Emad

hey guys. this is my first post. couldn't find any topic covering this, apologies in advance if there is already one. 

I have a work bike which i mostly use, i take my NC750S out only once in a 7-10 days, on my day off. its been about 9 days since i used it last, now its not starting up. lights comes up but the moment i press the ignition everything goes out. tried bump start, didn't work either. so guessing flat battery. usually i just push it to my local garage (20-25mins). but was wondering how difficult would it be to remove the battery and take it to the garage for charge instead pushing the bike?

i am really really novice at maintenance. so all the suggestion would be better if its idiot-proof! thanks in advance.

KingJames

In the frunk (front storage area) there are some screws that keep the frunk casing in place. Remove the ones that are towards the nose of the bike.  The battery is there.  

Rather than remove it, buy one of these and connect it up.  It should advise if you have it the connections the correct way round and then plug it in. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXFORD-OXIMISER-BATTERY-CHARGER-OPTIMISER-601/dp/B002K1Z0K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511618498&sr=8-1&keywords=motorbike+charger

or a bit posher and possibly do cars a bit better should it be neededhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-3-8-Functional-7-stage/dp/B00E5VS58Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511618884&sr=1-1&keywords=CTEK+MXS+3.8

Edited by KingJames
  • Like 1
Rocker66
16 minutes ago, KingJames said:

In the frunk (front storage area) there are some screws that keep the frunk casing in place. Remove the ones that are towards the nose of the bike.  The battery is there.  

Rather than remove it, buy one of these and connect it up.  It should advise if you have it the connections the correct way round and then plug it in. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXFORD-OXIMISER-BATTERY-CHARGER-OPTIMISER-601/dp/B002K1Z0K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511618498&sr=8-1&keywords=motorbike+charger

or a bit posher and possibly do cars a bit better should it be neededhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-3-8-Functional-7-stage/dp/B00E5VS58Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511618884&sr=1-1&keywords=CTEK+MXS+3.8

Very good suggestion 

PoppetM

I really need to have a look at where the battery is... keep meaning to! 

Guest bonekicker

Emad battery Optimizers are cheap--I have mine on all the time--not whilst riding of course--the extension lead would not be long enough for one thing--and pushing it to the garage is?? :poke: 

Just fitted up with oxford optimizer , Keeps the battery topped up all winter . £50 ish  job done..

Guest Blackbob

Do you owners who use optimiser keep it on all winter, I have one on my bike and I don't intend to use the bike until March/April 18, is that the correct way to use one?

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, Blackbob said:

Do you owners who use optimiser keep it on all winter, I have one on my bike and I don't intend to use the bike until March/April 18, is that the correct way to use one?

When I was working I used to leave my leisure bike connected all winter with no problems.

KingJames

The blurb says that it is ok to do that. Did it for a couple of weeks once, had a charged battery at the end of it and battery still going. I have a 2014, normal lights, and it does need a good charge to get it going straight away on cold days. One thing I do now that i think helps, stop the bike on the kill switch. Take the key out. On startup, key in and turn (lights on) followed by kill switch to on 10 secs later and then start. My thinking being the battery get the first amp pull followed by the second stage of things the bike checks (DCT stuff i think it mainly is, whirring anyway) when the kill switch is switched on only when the battery has had a little bit of time to warm up and not pull huge amps straight away. Apollo 13 film system startup style.

Edited by KingJames
  • Like 1
trisaki
9 minutes ago, Blackbob said:

If the bike has an alarm then yes you can leave on permanently if no alarm then probably best to put on for a month or so take of for a week or so then back on  and so on / my opinion  

• Like 1

A lead acid battery needs to be always fully charged to avoid sulfation. (Sulfation kills it gradually.).

Battery’s maintenance is not about time. It depends on many factors (like temperature, parasitic drain [we have a small one by ECU/PCM], etc) so the only way is to monitor the voltage and charge when the charge level is lowered.

A battery maintainer will do that automatically but it must be a good one (to trust it, like Optimate, and anyway it’s always a good idea to have an eye on it from time to time, because sometimes electronics fails.).

• Like 1
Graham NZ

VITAL!  ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FIRST ( - ) AND RECONNECT IT LAST!  And make sure the disconnected cables are tucked away so they can't make accidental contact.  As you face the battery the negative terminal is the one on the right hand side of the bike.

KingJames
On 25/11/2017 at 14:20, Rocker66 said:

Very good suggestion 

Clearly not that good, the OP hasn't been back since posting.

Rocker66
1 minute ago, KingJames said:

Clearly not that good, the OP hasn't been back since posting.

Well I thought it was good advice.