Swingarm

TJW

Hi All,

I've just noticed that it says on various parts-webpages that the swing-arm for the 700/750 is no longer produced ... been wondering if there's been any replacemnt ...

Fowlers are listing the swinging arm assembly for my NC750X, part 52200MGSD32, but an eye watering £1236.30 .. Ignore the bit about back order, no stock. They get parts direct from manufacturer, usually in a few days form my experience.

Finlayson99

There's one on a certain auction site at a breakers in NW England for £59 from a 4000 mile bike.

What you want is the ally one from an Integra.

Why they didn't fit it to the NC, I've no idea. Cost I suppose.

Am confused... what are Honda fitting to new bikes? 2nd hand swinging arms perhaps? Surely they must be manufacturing swinging arms, perhaps refusing to sell them as spares?

Can’t imagine they were selling many at £1236! :D 

wingrider.steve
17 hours ago, TJW said:

Hi All,

I've just noticed that it says on various parts-webpages that the swing-arm for the 700/750 is no longer produced ... been wondering if there's been any replacemnt ...

There are a few parts showing as "Not Available" on Honda's parts system (not just NC parts) and there were even more like that a few months ago.

I asked the parts guy at my local dealer a while ago about this and apparently it's due to the disruption from the last big quake they had in the area around the Honda factory which affected not only Honda but a lot of its suppliers. Any parts which have been in limited supply have been going straight to the production line and have shown up as Not Available on the spares system although dealers can put through orders as "Vehicle Off the Road" and in theory they will turn up, eventually!

The list of parts affected is slowly reducing, I know when I needed a throttle cable for my 2016 NC750X a few months ago it was listed as Not Available but now it's available as normal.

Edited by wingrider.steve
13 hours ago, commuter said:

Am confused... what are Honda fitting to new bikes? 2nd hand swinging arms perhaps? Surely they must be manufacturing swinging arms, perhaps refusing to sell them as spares?

Well, if you need one to replace a rusty, broken original one you got to have it as spare, no other way of getting it ...

8 hours ago, wingrider.steve said:

There are a few parts showing as "Not Available" on Honda's parts system (not just NC parts) and there were even more like that a few months ago.

I asked the parts guy at my local dealer a while ago about this and apparently it's due to the disruption from the last big quake they had in the area around the Honda factory which affected not only Honda but a lot of its suppliers. Any parts which have been in limited supply have been going straight to the production line and have shown up as Not Available on the spares system although dealers can put through orders as "Vehicle Off the Road" and in theory they will turn up, eventually!

The list of parts affected is slowly reducing, I know when I needed a throttle cable for my 2016 NC750X a few months ago it was listed as Not Available but now it's available as normal.

That makes sense, I thought for a moment they'd discontinued the production of it completely, which would be a rather big nuisance ...

Only Triumph would do that ..

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Only Triumph would do that ..

I found quite the opposite . I bought a Triumph Sprint Sport which was supposed to be a limited edition of 200 However when the 200 had been sold they produced more so rather than stopping making bits for current models they actually make more bikes than they claimed they would

I am of the understanding all manufacturers are required to produce parts for a number of years . 

• Like 1

I think it is ten years, although whether that is statutory or just an industry guideline I am not sure. Either way, I would hope that the NC is safe enough bet for spares generally given that it has been a good seller for Honda globally, so I'd expect after market manufacturers to fill quite a lot of gaps. A swing arm isn't exactly a service item though - unless you're on an ST1100 :-)

On 12/3/2017 at 16:00, Tex said:

Can’t imagine they were selling many at £1236! :D 

I’m thinking of buying two. One for each arm.

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
23 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I found quite the opposite . I bought a Triumph Sprint Sport which was supposed to be a limited edition of 200 However when the 200 had been sold they produced more so rather than stopping making bits for current models they actually make more bikes than they claimed they would

Triumph have discontinued the petrol tank for my ST1050 exactly on the ten year mark and no one has any stock. Mine has swollen due to ethanol and is now an MOT failure. There are no alternatives. The later steel tank fitted from 2008 onwards is not compatible with my earlier model. Everyone with a Sprint ST from 2005-2007 has been left in the lurch by this as they are all swelling up.

Edited by Trumpet
Andy m

It is debatable if the ten year rule applies to anything except cars. Most manufacturers will stick to it to avoid any debate. 

Andy

A triumph representative quoted the 10 year rule directly to me when I was in the facory recently.. Most manufacturers support way beyond the 10 year rule on a best effort basis. Honda and Suzuki particularly do really well supporting older models.

PS Sorry for the thread drift !

Edited by Trumpet
Rocker66
1 minute ago, Trumpet said:

A triumph representative quoted the 10 year rule directly to me when I was in the facory recently.. Most manufacturers support way beyond the 10 year rule on a best effort basis. Honda and Suzuki particularly do really well supporting older models.

PS Sorry for the thread drift !

Suzuki have even started to produce parts for some popular ‘70s models