Whos got the highest milage?

Guest machinman

Gringo

Of all the bikes I've had I've never run up vast amounts of miles on a single machine. Most I had on the clock was 72000 on my old nail 250N superdream.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roddy

• Xactly

• Steve Case

• motorbykcourier

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Close to 300K miles now ...... Not boasting, just what it is....unfortunately doing more 'van' miles (sorry for swearing!) at the moment !  

Hi, Yes, we're approaching the 200K mark at the moment. Its starting to show its use finish wise - it gets used all year, but mechanically (touch wood etc etc) I cant complain. Still ea

I see this thread is still going - so thought I'd update. We are running at well over 250K miles now.... I'd show a picture of the speedo, but its been replaced twice early on as there were

Posted Images

Steve Case

Yay, Superdream, I remember when they came out and it was like... Wow thats a really big 250!

Stand next to one nowadays and its bleeding tiny. Or I've stretched a bit...

Anyhoo how can anyone add mileage at the mo, we can't go anywhere. I've now had my NC for 18 months and only added 9k miles. In a standard year I do 9600 miles just commuting then add the local running around and its 12K.

This is interesting but it's in Spanish with English subs.  Just under 30k miles...  

motorbykcourier

I see this thread is still going - so thought I'd update.

We are running at well over 250K miles now....

I'd show a picture of the speedo, but its been replaced twice early on as there were recalls - the mileage is logged for business purposes, hence stating and knowing the current figure.

The speedo on the bike just now is showing just over 200K miles.

This week has been quite quiet for bike work (we also have a van), but after today's run - Newmarket to Whitchurch (horse embryo transfer) I'll have done ~1200 miles so far this week.

FYI Ride mag did a feature on the bike a few months ago in the high mileage heros feature

TTFN...

• Like 7
Xactly
31 minutes ago, motorbykcourier said:

I'd show a picture of the speedo, but its been replaced twice early on as there were recalls - the mileage is logged for business purposes, hence stating and knowing the current figure.

This week has been quite quiet for bike work (we also have a van), but after today's run - Newmarket to Whitchurch (horse embryo transfer) I'll have done ~1200 miles so far this week.

FYI Ride mag did a feature on the bike a few months ago in the high mileage heros feature

TTFN...

Yes, I still have the Ride feature. It was after reading that I bought my NC750X manual. For some reason the NC series had always been under my radar - strange, as until recently I was (and always have been) an avid reader of m/c magazines. I parked next to a new NC on my then new Crossrunner at a local bike dealer, frequented by many on weekends. The forward slanting engine, the comparative ease of maintenance and the unstressed nature of the slow-revving long-stroke engine, plus the simplicity and reliability of the single throttle body all appeal to me. 
IMHO the interest of this thread would be increased if there were a distinction between manuals (which I note your one is) and DCTs. I have a feeling that the latter are less likely to achieve the stellar mileages of yours without surgery and some other manuals I’ve noted. 

• Like 1

Xactly ,that's an interesting point between the manual and DCT? Are there any figures that lean towards the manual having better mileages. Mine is a DCT and I plan to get some stellar mileage on it. Also which month was the article in Ride Mag?

Steve, Would you mind if I can PM you and ask a few questions on couriering?

Xactly
1 hour ago, roddy said:

Xactly ,that's an interesting point between the manual and DCT? Are there any figures that lean towards the manual having better mileages. Mine is a DCT and I plan to get some stellar mileage on it. Also which month was the article in Ride Mag?

Steve, Would you mind if I can PM you and ask a few questions on couriering?

The Ride article was published in the November 2020 edition; it was one of a series of readers’ high mileage bikes. I would say that it was right up there with the best, though the highest mileage bike of which I am aware was a BMW R1100GS with 440,000 miles on it....

I have no hard information on which is better in terms of trouble-free longevity but the two NC bikes I know of with well in excess of 100k each are both manuals. I doubt that a DCT would beat a manual in this regard as modern wet clutches last a very long time if not abused and I can’t see a DCT system outlasting a manual. Even if the clutch did wear out it’s a relatively easy and cheap fix. Then again it’s only a small minority who are likely to get to really high mileages (over 200k) unless they are couriers or travel a fair distance to work each day. Bikes used in such a way will always last longer than those that are not used so often because they go through comparatively fewer heat cycles ie  relative to the mileage they have fewer cold starts, which is when most of the engine wear takes place. It is my opinion that this explains how faults are found on new models of bikes by the early adopters. Although the manufacturer has tested the new bike for x thousand miles, the testing is likely to have been condensed into a relatively short time scale so not all potential issues are necessarily identified. Just my view, but the fact is that faults are often found on “first editions” which is why I never buy them, opting for the last-of-the-line (ie fully sorted, or at least as sorted as it is going to be).

A final thought is that there is no guarantee that either a manual or DCT will do 1/4 million miles with so little non-consumables replacement as this one. It might be exceptional.

• Like 3

No problem about the courier stuff Steve it was cheeky of me to ask about your business 

• Like 1
poldark
On 28/04/2021 at 10:17, Spindizzy said:

I still want a motorbike, but I have no actual use for one much other than the desire to have one.

Maybe an RE Interceptor might be a (not so pricey) option?

Steve Case

I bet the NC clatters a bit with 200K on the bores!

Out of interest anyone with high mileage running a thicker oil, say 10w-40 or 15w-40?

I have a 2012 nc manual with 50k miles on and I use 10w-40 as my standard oil, just the cheap stuff in 20L drums.

Steve Case

Is that for all 50K?

If so then I guess it has no ill affects, does it quieten the engine at all?

Since I changed the oil at about 40k miles. Not idea what it had before I bought it at 37k. I thought 10w-40 was as per manual, no?

Engine is not noticeably noisy, she runs sweet and economically 

motorbykcourier
On 4/30/2021 at 12:41, Steve Case said:

Out of interest anyone with high mileage running a thicker oil, say 10w-40 or 15w-40?

The only thing that clatters is the clutch - which has done so from ~50K miles (if I remember rightly?) 

About the same time I changed to 10W-40 - for that reason plus it made gear change a wee bit better.

FYI, I will at some point soon check the clutch (and change the thrust race) as the clutch sometimes groans and judders a bit on quicker getaways

Rocker66
11 minutes ago, motorbykcourier said:

The only thing that clatters is the clutch .

It’s probably pretending to be a Ducati.😂

Steve Case

Ok, maybe clatter is not the correct word but it has that ringing you get with wet liner engines, the Triumph does exactly the same thing but quite a lot louder.

I'm suspecting the 10w-30 is to reduce consumption along with the 36/42psi tyre pressures

• 1 month later...
r1speedyrider

I've only got 14500 on my 2019 Integra as I bought at end of Jan with 1400 miles on it. I did have  another Honda (NTV600 Revere) in the noughties which I bought 2nd hand with 265,000 miles. I put on another 100,000+ so near 400k miles. I only ever replaced carb diaphragm, water pump seal other than other usual consumables.

I'm currently using 10w40 oil in my NC with no issues. I couldn't find cheap fully synthetic, only semi in 10w30 so I thought as its summer 10w40 will do.

• Like 1
Jamesc
On 30/04/2021 at 14:41, Steve Case said:

Honda dealer where I am put 20w/50 in mine, manual 2014, seems to make no odds at all although that is with high ambient temps...it's only done 13k kilometres not a high miler at all

(I still use the dealer for oil changes to keep some sort of service history and also cos there is nowhere to dispose of the old oil)

Edited by Jamesco
Added miles/kms/whatever
Steve Case

Nowhere to dispose of oil in Qatar... Blimey

I'm not sure I'd want such a heavy grade due to ambient being a lot lower, but I'm pretty sure the dealer is using 10w-40.

I may be wrong but the 10w-30 is about lower internal friction loses to get the magic mpg figures. I would happily sacrifice some of the mpg to quieten the engine a bit and it is not a radical new design as far as I can see.

The clutch is new but as long as the oil is an MA grade then I doubt there would be much difference.

• Like 1
MatBin
On 29/04/2021 at 08:26, motorbykcourier said:

TTFN...

How's the seat?😂

Steve Case

Just had a thought the R1100GS with 440,000 miles, how many clutches has that had in that time...Complete arse of a job to do!

Matt, are you suggesting the NC seat is Sochiro's revenge?

Xactly
43 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

Just had a thought the R1100GS with 440,000 miles, how many clutches has that had in that time...Complete arse of a job to do!

Matt, are you suggesting the NC seat is Sochiro's revenge?

I don’t know. IIRC it had new gearbox bearings. Yes a clutch is a PITA the first time but really it’s not difficult, just long-winded. A clutch on the 1200 RT (pre l/c) is a two day job, I believe. For that reason alone I wouldn’t fancy doing one…

outrunner
On 02/07/2021 at 09:35, Steve Case said:

I may be wrong but the 10w-30 is about lower internal friction loses to get the magic mpg figures.

If that is true then why is 10w-40 the factory oil of choice for the manual version?

Andy.

Xactly
23 hours ago, outrunner said:

If that is true then why is 10w-40 the factory oil of choice for the manual version?

Andy.

It isn’t; at least not for my 2020 NC750X, for which 10w-30 is specified. Same for my 2019 Crossrunner, for which economy isn’t really what it’s about.