Battery questions

Guest Rufio

I havn't ridden my bike for about 3 months and i know the battery will be flat. I have some questions in relation to getting the battery fully charged.

* if i just jump start the bike and rode it for an hour would that be sufficient enough to recharge so i wont need a jump next time? If not how long would you recommend?

*Do the wheels have to be turning for the bike to recharge or can i just leave it running?

*I dont have a charger or trickle charger, will a trickle charger charge back to full? 

Thanks in Advance, looking forward to ruding it again!

My personal adviced for you Rufio would be to invest in a 12volt battery charger from a auto shop or Halfords store and give your dead battery a good 12 hours  recharge to bring it up to peek performance.

Using your bike engine to charge a dead battery is not a good idea as it will be diverted part of the charge to run all the electrical systems, you could drive around for half an hour and find your battery is still flat..

A trickle charger is a good bit of kit But it is only designed to maintain a battery at full charge not charge it from flat.

hope this helps

Edited by Gerrymac
  • Like 2

Get a good battery maintainer.

All of what you mentioned are bad practices, highly not recommend for the engine & the battery...

Edited by ste7ios
  • Like 3
trisaki

If you  jump start from a car etc don't have that vehicle running  otherwise there is a chance  it could damage your bike   running your bike at tick over  won't really charge your battery  remember your headlight and rear light will be using  more or less the power  you  are trying to get in to your battery - get an optimate or similar  (Oxford version is basically a cheap Chinese copy ) and put it on charge till lights go green 

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 4
alhendo1

I'd buy a battery conditioner...either Optimate or Ctek... (I've both and found them really good...)...if it does the job on your battery then great...if not it'll keep your new one in fine fettle....it's a big outlay but one which I think is worthwhile. 

Thanks all. I think ill invest in a 12v battery charger. I take it i can just take battery out of bike and charge indoors.

Having a look on that auction site theres loads. Any recommendations. I want cheap but does the job.

Edited by Rufio
9 minutes ago, Rufio said:

I take it i can just take battery out of bike and charge indoors.

Yes you can do that.  

TheEnglishman

If the battery's been flat for months I'd bin it and buy a new one.  You might recover it but its a gamble.

With any lead acid battery aim to keep it fully charged all the time.  Get a charger - pretty much any 12v lead acid charger will be ok.  I used to use Optimates but when one finally expired I got a good deal on a CTEK one.  Car ones are equally fine - but not truck ones!

• Like 2
Totally_Lost

I can only tell you what I use... A CTEK XS-4003 (since 2010) and it's a dream to use, soo easy and every time when my riding season starts, the battery is in perfect condition. I ride about 2 times a month, but never have to charge it between the rides. Also, since I use a good regulated charger, the battery life is a lot longer now (was 3-4 years, now 6-8 years). The maximum charge current for my motorcycle is 0.8 Amps and that is ideal, but the charger can also be set to charge higher capacities up to 140 Ah (cars).

I have my bike protected from the elements but not in a heated space, keep the battery installed in the bike, just plug in the CTEK and let it sit for 3 months.

Just like Optimates and other good brand electronically controlled chargers, they all take very good care of the battery.

• Like 2

Haven't used mine since September,started first prod......you might be surprised.

• Like 1

Indeed AGM batteries have a lot lower self discharge rate (especially when stored in cool places) than simpler flooded lead acid batteries and it will take more months to discharge up to ~50% where is the limit of their power but that doesn’t mean that they will last as expected. Sulfation will kill them much sooner. (Personally I can’t keep an AGM more than 2-3 years without keeping it connected to a maintainer. Because that is not possible LFP saved the day...).

They will last only if they’re always fully charged. It’s the only way to stop sulfation.

Also note that simple statements like the above doesn’t really help. Well done but WHY? More data are needed like open circuit voltage & temperature measurements through the time...

But they’re really well documented to know the WHY. Lead acid has a 150 years old history... It may only help to maintain them better...

• Like 1

Optimate or CTek, its worth the investment, constantly maintains your battery (if connected).

A few of us locally  have been using Lidl bike/car chargers, similar to Optimate, etc. but only about £14. 

• Like 1
trisaki
1 hour ago, Derm said:

Optimate or CTek, its worth the investment, constantly maintains your battery (if connected).

And turned on ! A mate of mine was moaning   about his wife's car battery being flat 6 months  after  I sold him a optimate  charger - all set up on the car but not switched on at the plug  doh ! 

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sigh 3

Wahoo all charged up and started up. Must admit made me feel like a kid again when running! Just needs a good clean and ready to get going!! Hope i remember how to ride!