NC750X fairing removal

CalicoJack

Hi all, 

I've dropped an important nut from my satnav down into the inside of the fairing. Instead of just getting  another nut like a normal person would I've started to try and remove the silver chevron fairing to gain access. 

There's 3 main pieces to the fairing; the silver chevron,  the coloured piece above it and the main black bit underneath.

The question is,  does anyone know which piece comes off first  ?

Cheers 

• Sigh 1

Paul i did similar when fitting a cobra oiler, i managed to fish it out with a magnet, try that first,.  Or leave the nut down there until its serviced/falls out.

16 minutes ago, CalicoJack said:

Hi all, 

I've dropped an important nut from my satnav down into the inside of the fairing. Instead of just getting  another nut like a normal person would I've started to try and remove the silver chevron fairing to gain access. 

There's 3 main pieces to the fairing; the silver chevron,  the coloured piece above it and the main black bit underneath.

The question is,  does anyone know which piece comes off first  ?

Cheers 

Coloured piece first, silver chevron and black bit underneath are removed as a single unit. there is a fair number of different nuts and trim clips. In my experience the most difficult part is the first coloured piece.

Well, I consider myself to be a competant Mechanical person, after over 40 years of self servicing. Removing and replacing the plastic panels, along with all the different fasteners should be considered a job not for the faint hearted. It took me all afternoon to remove the left hand upper and lower panels, and refit them, with nothing left over ... but I did do it. Its a git of a job. I now have the accessory loom fitted, the relay, and a switched supply at the handlebar for my Zumo GPS. Paticularly terrifying is pulling at the plastic hoping the push in type snap connectors release before the plastic breaks on the upper fairing.

Edited by Trumpet
Totally_Lost

I've always hated those push type pins, very easy to push in and remove it from the hole, but to retract that center pin in order to reuse it fastening the fairing part again... :cry:

Is there a smart way perhaps?

fred_jb
1 hour ago, Totally_Lost said:

I've always hated those push type pins, very easy to push in and remove it from the hole, but to retract that center pin in order to reuse it fastening the fairing part again... :cry:

Is there a smart way perhaps?

I haven't done it for a while, but from what I remember there is a knack - I think I just spread the prongs apart with a fingertip while pushing the central pin back out.  As you have found you have to disengage the pin otherwise the thing won't go back in the hole.

• Thanks 1
ChrisCB

Pull the centre pin out from the bottom and pop it back in the top!

Sorry guys, my poor description. Not the snap rivets, difficult to describe, but there are spung clips as well as varying sizes and depths of spaced bolts and snap rivets too. Once the bolts are out and the snap rivet pins pushed, and you have removed the plastic trim at the top, you have to put pressure on the upper panel to pull them off. They go with a crack. Most unnerving.

Edited by Trumpet