Miracle Addative

Foxy

Just been reading about these "miracle pills" in a classic car mag, available from www.ftcdirect.com they offer improved performance and fuel economy for cars and bikes. Sounds a bit wacky but at £25 for a lifetime treatment might be worth a punt, apparently they date back to second world war aircraft development so is there anyone out there with experience of this little pill?

sandalfarm

It's not those tablets with lead in them is it? If so why do you need them in an engine that's designed  to be lead free. Probably like copper bracelets  that cure arthritis, if they were that good the bbs would be giving them out instead of hip replacement 

• Like 1
Rocker66
33 minutes ago, Tbirdx said:

Snake oil. File next to Sky Hooks, checkered paint and perpetual motion machines.

But skyhooks work just ask Ducati😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Andy m

Octane raisers, probably with lead as well. Getting a Hawker Hurricane to burn Russian pool petrol isn't the same as modern engines. Burned out catastrophic perverters and confused ECU's were not a problem in 1942. Avoid.

Trivia: the bloke who decided to put lead in petrol in the UK also came up with CFC's as a refrigerant!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Andy is bang on. Funny too!

I think the clue is that they’re advertising in Classic Car magazines. What don’t classic cars have? Catalyst exhausts..

Take your £25 and buy ‘er indoors something nice for Valentine’s Day.

:)

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Tex said:

Take your £25 and buy ‘er indoors something nice for Valentine’s Day.

:)

Now there is a great topic, care to give us any advice on that Tex?

Are these little blue tablets, ? dont put them in the petrol tank give them to me,...

5 minutes ago, mberry said:

maybe if you ran it with one of these it may help lol.

Cant trust a man with such a tidy workshop and no tools !!

fj_stuart

Many years ago I had a friend who was very pleased with a modification he made to his bike. It was a unit fitted into the ignition lead, a "spark amplifier" or something. He said that it had improved starting and gave smoother running and better fuel consumption. Not only that the revs required for a certain speed had dropped from 5,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm.

So this unit not only make the bike run better it could alter the gearing!

• Haha 2
Andy m
20 minutes ago, mberry said:

maybe if you ran it with one of these it may help lol.

😁🤣😅😆

Doesn't have a thrunging sprocket though 🤔

Andy

Spindizzy

Don't get those little blue pills confused, your bike may end up with a permanent wheelie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sigh 1
Rev Ken

Teh development of this tin based catgaylist is a fascinating sory about havin got treat Russian fuel used in British Mk 2 Hurricanes fitted with MerlinXX engines. Google Broquet Fuel Catalyist

MikeBike
16 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Teh development of this tin based catgaylist is a fascinating sory about havin got treat Russian fuel used in British Mk 2 Hurricanes fitted with MerlinXX engines. Google Broquet Fuel Catalyist

Ken, you need to google 'miracle pill for keyboard'.

Rev Ken
1 minute ago, MikeBike said:

Ken, you need to google 'miracle pill for keyboard'.

I'll a

sack teh keyboard iof it does it again! (I was starting toedit and ex[and my answer but I got a 'time out!) See what I mena!

The development of this tin based catalyst is a fascinating story about having to treat Russian fuel used in British Mk 2 Hurricanes fitted with MerlinXX engines. Google 'Broquet Fuel Treatment'. It was recommended for a number of years by the Civil Service Motoring Association and I used it on many of my cars and bikes, especially when lead was taken out of petrol. The most spectacular results for me was increasing the economy of an old Jaguar 4.2 (Arfur Daley special) from 18 to 22 mpg! 

After the war Henry Broquet sold his creation to fishing fleets etc and apparently made a good living as it saved on Diesel fuel bills. 

Now that modern engines don't need the lubricating properties of lead or Broquet, I have not bothered with it. However it definitely ISN'T snake oil and it is a genuine product that is no longer needed to replace lead, but apparently can still offer reduced fuel consumption, but I don't have any  personal experience. 

The above is on my assumption that what is on offer is the same as Broquet, but if not, and you want to try it - go for the 'genuine' Broquet product. 

Is that better???

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 2
Slowboy

What Andy said, oil from freshly squeezed snakes. With no noticeable lubrication properties either....

12 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

But skyhooks work just ask Ducati😀😀

I get that :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Foxy said:

Just been reading about these "miracle pills" in a classic car mag, available from www.ftcdirect.com they offer improved performance and fuel economy for cars and bikes. Sounds a bit wacky but at £25 for a lifetime treatment might be worth a punt, apparently they date back to second world war aircraft development so is there anyone out there with experience of this little pill?

Is it a blue pill....

They work miracles for me :blink:

TheEnglishman
On 10/02/2018 at 15:58, Rev Ken said:

....'Broquet Fuel Treatment'..... However it definitely ISN'T snake oil ...

jiFfM.jpg

You definately need to run the recommended fuel in any given engine design. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Totally_Lost

I avoid everything that does miracles to fuel consumption or engine wear. If any of those were only half as good as advertised, every vehicle manufacturer would use them. Of course, additive X can increase performance or range, but damages other parts/systems the same time. Or tyre X increases fuel economy by 40%, but decrease traction by 70%. It just depends on what someone values more. Every upside has its downside. Or as my father always said, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. We all know that's true.

To save where we can is good, but I like to do that with stuff that I understand and can substantiate with a simple calculation. About that miracle pill they say, we don't know why it works, but it works... Well, then it's a no for me.

Mr Toad
On 10/02/2018 at 22:23, coopers12345 said:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/d-lock-associates-a15-303926.html

No definitive research or testing to substantiate any actual improvements. I suspect a large part of any 'improvements' people notice is due to not wanting to feel that they've wasted £25.

I think you've got it pretty much spot on.

I was in the CSMA for years and the Broquet debate raged back and forth constantly. There were always letters in the magazine extolling it's virtues and letters denouncing it as snake oil. From reading the ongoing debate and meeting some of the combatants through work I formed my own opinions.

I too think many of the people convinced to try it were reluctant to admit they'd been had. Anyone brave enough to say he'd fitted one and it had made no difference at all was ostracised and dismissed as a heretic. It was madness :)   

Then there was that other special type of person, the OCD types, the ones who'd bought a new car in the 50s or 60s and were still running the same car decades later. They were the ones that kept records of every penny spent, of every mile driven and the weather on the day, they recorded stops for tea and whether they had a biscuit with it. They obsessively calculated fuel and oil consumption and tyre pressures etc..  I'm sure you know the type I mean.

Every time they got an extra few mpg they saw this as proof that the Broquet was working. It didn't matter that on that day there had been strong tail winds or they'd perhaps driven a little more carefully, another sore subject as they always drove in exactly the same way, no, they would never accept there were any external factors that could account for the extra mpg. It was always the Broquet.    

Rev Ken
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

I think you've got it pretty much spot on.

I was in the CSMA for years and the Broquet debate raged back and forth constantly. There were always letters in the magazine extolling it's virtues and letters denouncing it as snake oil. From reading the ongoing debate and meeting some of the combatants through work I formed my own opinions.

I too think many of the people convinced to try it were reluctant to admit they'd been had. Anyone brave enough to say he'd fitted one and it had made no difference at all was ostracised and dismissed as a heretic. It was madness :)   

Then there was that other special type of person, the OCD types, the ones who'd bought a new car in the 50s or 60s and were still running the same car decades later. They were the ones that kept records of every penny spent, of every mile driven and the weather on the day, they recorded stops for tea and whether they had a biscuit with it. They obsessively calculated fuel and oil consumption and tyre pressures etc..  I'm sure you know the type I mean.

Every time they got an extra few mpg they saw this as proof that the Broquet was working. It didn't matter that on that day there had been strong tail winds or they'd perhaps driven a little more carefully, another sore subject as they always drove in exactly the same way, no, they would never accept there were any external factors that could account for the extra mpg. It was always the Broquet.    

I remember it well! But it is worth reading how Broquet came into being. It stopped Hurricane planes falling out of the sky when added to Russian fuel. Its main use when introduced into the commercial market was to help old engines that relied on leaded petrol run on unleaded. Therefore its main commercial value is diminishing. I no longer have a need for it, but found it worthwhile in the past.

• Like 1