Key snapped off in Nottank

staufighter

staufighter

I have just read your thread about getting an unchipped dupe for the Nottank / rear seat.

I had to call breakdown last week when the key snapped off in the Nottank lock. I have a spare but I can't re-fuel. Do I get a new lock and key?

Bigglesaircraft

Hi possibly not the answer you were expecting but, there are many suggestions on YouTube of how to remove a key that has snapped off in the lock. I have tried a couple of them and they do actually work. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Remember the chip in the old fob will still work as long as it is near enough to the HISS unit (ignition lock), so an unchipped key and the old fob on the same keyring will work OK in the ignition.

I assume your question is regarding getting the piece of broken key out of the lock? See the post above.

• Like 1
Andy m

There is a thread but I can't find it.

You can get an unchipped key blank and that plus the remains of your old chipped key on the ring with it will work for the ignition.

Getting the stub out of the lock will save getting a new lock. Superglueing something to the old key worked for me, but you need to really clean all the bits and give it 24 hours to set before pulling.

Andy

I got a cheap couple of pounds copy Honda key that allows a chip to be inserted into it. I then too the old key and cut the top, bottom and side off it and opened it up and extracted the ID chip (its just a small piece of plastic), and inserted it into the new key - all done :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
staufighter

If I can't remove the broken key from the Nottank lock can anyone reccommend a supplier and part number.

Mikdent

Use half of a hacksaw or coping saw blade, snap one in half and use the end that will have the teeth facing upwards. 

Slidey pokey in and gently fiddle around until you feel the teeth bite the key, then slowly and patiently tease it out. It will take more than one attempt. 

Ive done this myself and it can be done. 

Good luck. :niceone:

Edited by Mikdent
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1