When to change the chain and sprockets?

Guest matt_bex

Guest matt_bex

As a novice rider (only riding since march) I'd like to find out how I know when the chain and sprockets need changing. I guess when the sprocket tips are rounded then it's time? Does the chain show signs when you need to change it also?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Keep an eye on your drive chain it's really important, you don't want that snapping!

Oil it after every trip, check the tension and give it a stiff coat of looking at.

Keep those mitts away from a moving chain tho!

Argyll

Yeah, there are some interesting photos on other forums showing the results of chain cleaning with the engine running and in gear - no more piano lessons!

Guest motorboy

I get 17-20 thousand miles per chain and front sprocket rear sprocket every other chain As far as when time to change it the last 3-4 chains seem to turn red when the inside grease is about to go away if not changed quick it goes real fast after that O rings break off and kinks up

Rev Ken

Keep an eye on your drive chain it's really important, you don't want that snapping!

Oil it after every trip, check the tension and give it a stiff coat of looking at.

Keep those mitts away from a moving chain tho!

Oil EVERY trip????? Mine has done 15,000 on a CBF1000 and I do oil it every 200-400 miles depending on the weather and my mileage in a day (I wouldn't stop to oil a chain....) and it has only been adjusted twice so has some life left in it. Life is too short to spend throwing oil and water over a bike after each trip - well it certainly is at my age. :frantics:

Every decent trip, I didn't mean if you just pushed it across the driveway.

Rocker66

Sadly this isn't always possible. For instance when getting home from a 12 hour shift at 2:20 in the morning I don't feel much like washing the bike and lubing the chain

Edited by Rocker66

I'm not trying to convert you old timers, you guys can do what you like. It's not like you've only been riding since March like the OP, the one who asked the question!

Rocker66

Sorry what I was trying to put across is that if you don't manage to lube every trip then it's not the end of the world. Of course you should get into a regular routine of doing so

• Like 1

Unless you're doing exceptionally high mileage then oiling once a week should do ok.

Not like the good old days when you needed to take the chain off, wash it in petrol, kerosene or white spririt depending on the fad advice at the time, heat up a large can of special chain grease until molten then soak the chain in the grease for a while and hang it up to dry...

Rev Ken

Unless you're doing exceptionally high mileage then oiling once a week should do ok.

Not like the good old days when you needed to take the chain off, wash it in petrol, kerosene or white spririt depending on the fad advice at the time, heat up a large can of special chain grease until molten then soak the chain in the grease for a while and hang it up to dry...

Ah now that IS something I remember! But you had to keep a watch when heating up the graphite grease on top of the gas stove - I know................ :whistle:

• 11 months later...

I am having my chain and sprocket changed next week. I have got 13000 miles out of them which I thought was quite good. I have been quoted £153 for both chain and sprocket not including labour to fit them. Does anyone know if you can buy them any cheaper anywhere?

sandalfarm

That boiling carry on was a disgusting job to do wasn't it? You can always buy cheap chain and sprockets and be constantly adjusing them as they stretch and watch the sprockets get hooked.why not do it yourself?

I am having my chain and sprocket changed next week. I have got 13000 miles out of them which I thought was quite good. I have been quoted £153 for both chain and sprocket not including labour to fit them. Does anyone know if you can buy them any cheaper anywhere?

An actual friend of mine (i.e. not just someone off a forum) has just changed his original chain on his VFR having fitted a scottoiler from new in 2000.

He had done 65,000 miles on the chain and it was only just starting to show significant wear.

Are you sure you are that happy with 13,000 miles?

michael

Owners manual shows a pretty good depiction of "when to renew," the chain and sprockets. Being new (it's been 40  years since my last chain driven motorcycle) to chain drive but (self admittedly) not 100% dumb on maintenance, the chain will tell you when it's time.

I've put 30,000 km's on a VFR chain that was still in pretty good shape, sprockets too. Yet it was oiled via Scottoiler.

Currently, a Tuturo oiler handles the ongoing lube work, we'll see how long a chain lasts in the NC environment. (more off asphalt).