What's the best shampoo/degreaser?

alhendo1

My 2p.  I bought some paraffin, Simonz shampoo and a variety of soft cloths with at least two "hand mitts" - all (bar the paraffin) on a sale from CostCo.  But I am new at this.. :-)

On thing I would say - definitely separate what you use on metals vs plastic. Hence me getting multiple sets of mitts and towels.  

I found the shampoo was nowhere near as good as paraffin or even WD40 at removing grime and crud from the metal.  I don't tend to use it on the plastics

2018-02-25 10.52.13 (Medium).jpg

2018-02-25 10.52.24 (Medium).jpg

2018-02-25 10.53.07 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

I use paraffin for removing the crud round the font sprocket and under the bike, where excess oil and grease accumulates.

Works a treat. 🙂

For general washing it's snowfoam and various cloths and brushes.

Once in a while it gets the clay bar, wax and hard glaze treatment.

• Like 1
SteveThackery

In my experience, solvents are invariably much more effective at removing oil-bound crud than detergents.  I use white spirit rather than paraffin, as it seems to be cheaper and is more widely available.

Unfortunately, the problem with using solvents is that they smell, which doesn't bother me but some might find it objectionable.

• Like 1

Shoot me down if you wish, but I swear by Mr Sheen for oil/Tar deposits. Safe on any surface, but don't use it on your brakes ! :blink:

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1

No shooting here, matey. There was always a couple of cans of Mr Seen in the showroom at the dealership. Quick and easy ‘eye appeal’. 

• Like 1
poldark

Only pearl of wisdom to add is never use Mr Sheen on your bike's seat, unless you want to look like Marc Marquez at the first bend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Unfortunately, the problem with using solvents is that they smell, which doesn't bother me but some might find it objectionable.

Agreed - and it lingers on the skin.. which is why I also use those disposable latex gloves you can get in a 50 pak from places like Waitrose.  Or regular washing up gloves.  Don't skimp too much on them though - the really el-cheapo ones fall apart, are miniscule, or are semi porous!

12 hours ago, Tex said:

No shooting here, matey. There was always a couple of cans of Mr Seen in the showroom at the dealership. Quick and easy ‘eye appeal’. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/whats-inside-mr-sheen seems to say it has paraffin in it :ahappy: I didn't know about using that as a quick once over plus giving protection.  Good to know.

Latex gloves generally don't like any sort of hydrocarbon based oils or solvents, nitrile gloves are made for these uses. Places like Screwfix or Toolstation usually have them, plus they are available in a variety of sizes to suit your typical mechanic. Just for info............

• Like 1
Just now, embee said:

Latex gloves generally don't like any sort of hydrocarbon based oils or solvents, nitrile gloves are made for these uses. Places like Screwfix or Toolstation usually have them, plus they are available in a variety of sizes to suit your typical mechanic. Just for info............

Good point - thanks.  I just checked the ones I use (the Waitrose) and indeed they are Nitrile. https://tinyurl.com/yazdqhzh

Most of the "washing up gloves" seem to be made of "rubber latex", so I guess that chucks them out too?

• Like 1

Actually Murray’s post reminds me of when we were issued with new, re-chargeable lanterns. Posh they were. Lightweight and quickly charged up from the cigarette lighter socket in the cab. What could go wrong?

So, I get sent to a car that’s leaking petrol and worm my way underneath it to see what’s going on. Suddenly it got very dark.. :( 

Examination showed a little petrol had splashed on the torch and melted the lens! Oh how we laughed.. :D 

• Sigh 2
On 2/24/2018 at 15:25, alhendo1 said:

The plan is to give it a detailed wash with the muc off then apply the acf50 to what will hopefully be a clean surface and see how that works out....I considered FS365 as an option but I can't get my head round how it won't wash off in the rain...I'm in the West of Scotland...it rains a lot and I don't want to be coming in from work having to wipe FS365 all over the bike before putting it away. ... this is all part of the master plan to ride it more often ....we'll see how it goes.....

I wash my bike every Saturday with Muc off and then finish it off with ACF50.  I give just a small spray of ACF just to keep on top of the bike, but it comes up like new every week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Totally_Lost

It's probably available in the UK too... I use Dasty Classic Degreaser (yellow substance in spray bottle) and it is 100% safe on all surfaces and materials.

First, I hose the bike with water to rinse off all loose particles, then spray the entire bike with Dasty and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Then with a fine water spray I apply a sponge at the Dasty to soap everything, after this just rinse the bike with the hose.

Even the rear rim I only need to apply the Dasty treatment once and (with a different sponge of course) wash the grease/oil off.

Dasty (Classic or Professional) is "dirt" cheap (I pay 2 Euros per spray bottle) and can clean anything with it. I love it.

• Like 1