Broken footpeg - what to replace with?

Guest secondborn

Guest secondborn

So I had my very first crash today, and even though it wasn't anything serious (an extremely embarrasing lowside at what was probably 10mph or so), I did break off my left side footpeg. I'm looking at replacements, and I'm quite surprised how much a genuine one costs (the ones I can find are between £50-60, this being one example). So the questions I have are these:

• Am I looking in the right places, or is there somewhere else they sell the parts for more reasonable prices?
    • I found these that are much cheaper, but are obviously not genuine. What could go wrong if I bought something like that? To me the footpeg is pretty much just a piece of metal with some rubber on it, so I don't know what benefit a genuine one would have compared to a knock-off, but then again I only have a year of riding experience, and might very well be missing a crucial bit of information.
  • Or should I maybe use this as an opportunity to replace the OEM footpegs with something different?
    • If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
      • I don't do any offroad riding, and have the aforementioned lack of experience, so I'm not even sure what to look for in replacement footpegs.
Guest machinman

I would buy a used one off the auction site, few on there complete with hanger assembly. 

You then know it will be a genuine part that will definitely fit.

I bought a brand new pair off that there auction site from China. When they arrived they appeared to be exactly the same quality as OEM ones so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't supply them to Honda. The one I replaced was absolutely fine!

Hi Vytas, welcome to the forum. :) 

Sorry about your crash, but glad you got away so lightly. Your description of a footrest as a ‘piece of metal with some rubber on it’ isn’t very wide of the mark. And, provided the metal is good enough quality, you certainly don’t need to pay OE (original equipment) prices. 

Or, like Stuart says, get a used one. Good luck.

suffolk58

I've just done a quick bit of online research and Aliexpress are well thought of and have good prices.

However they are in China, and the parts might take a while to arrive, plus you might be hit for import duty (but unlikely).

So buying locally means you'll get back on the road sooner, but if you are willing to wait for the "slow boat from China," you may save yourself a bit.

Guest secondborn

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Yeah, that's my conclusion given the replies on this thread, and some similar threads I found on other forums. I did end up purchasing a set from Aliexpress, and it will indeed take them over a month to get here, but oh well - at eight times the price difference I can probably wait. I wonder whether in the meantime I could go a bit Frankenstein and temporarily move one of the passenger footpegs into the rider slot... :blink:

17 minutes ago, secondborn said:

I wonder whether in the meantime I could go a bit Frankenstein and temporarily move one of the passenger footpegs into the rider slot... :blink:

Unlikely, I’m afraid. The rider’s footrests are female and the passenger’s are male (you’ll see what I mean when you look at them). 

Grumpy old man

Hi and welcome. 

You don't want to be riding in this weather just sit and wait 

Just nip into the WEMOTO site they will have some thing suitable and be with in a day or so if you ring them.

Lyn.