Vibration at speed

Markie

Hi all

Bit of a problem, hope you can help.

Been riding all day today and all was well. Then on my way home on the motorway when my nc750x started to feel unstable like it wanted to drift left, also a vibration that was causing my hands to get pins and needles. Problems only really noticeable above 50mph.

Just had a new rear, and looks like I may have lost a wheel balance weight (have some weights on one side of the wheel and not the other, just a  sticky patch - is this normal) could this be the problem? Or is the balance on the rear not very important?

Any ideas? Thanks 

• Sad 1

It could very easily be a wheel balance problem. For some reason the NC wheels seem to require a lot of weight to get them right. The sticky patch might just be left from the old weight(s) removed when the new tyre was fitted, though. 

Would certainly be the first thing I looked at.

• Like 1
embee

New rear tyre? Check chain adjustment, wheel alignment and is the wheel spindle actually tightened? Double check the adjuster nuts are set up against the end plates correctly too, someone had one left loose and it turned and hit the sprocket, nasty.

trisaki

Also check  chain  tension as most seem to be too tight 

Hi, thanks all. Checked tyre pressure before I went out yesterday and seemed ok when I got home. No slow puncture as far as I can tell. Chain tension looks ok. Will check alignment again.

The old tyre was from new. Do Honda use the stick on weights? Also is it normal to stick weights on both sides of the wheel?

embee

Mine had clip on weights over the wheel rim centre cast rib as OE fitment. I doubt any aftermarket tyre place uses the clip on type.

It's normal to add the stick-on weights evenly each side (or at least as evenly as possible, down to the nearest 2.5gm). Most bike wheels will be balanced in a single plane, unless maybe if they are a very wide rim and the balancing machine has the facility to measure the effects of each side (as with car wheels). 

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
SteveThackery

If it's high enough frequency to cause pins-and-needles I doubt it's got much to do with wheel balance.  Your wheels turn quite slowly and an out-of-balance wheel produces a low frequency shudder rather than the kind of buzz that causes nerve symptoms.

• Like 1
MikeBike

I get pins and needles sometimes through the seat. It's only after a while in S mode and I stop it by switching to D mode. So as I am changing the gearing it's the frequency of the engine's revs and not the wheels that's the cause. You could therefore try changing gear to ride in higher one(s) to see confirm it's caused by the engine's frequency.

rjp996

prob not the case, but i get pins and needles and numb fingers on my AT - thought it was vibration, but after a lot of experimentation found it was the angle my wrist was at, that somehow cuts the blood off.... changed wrist angle and all good

SteveThackery

For what it's worth, I always get pins and needles in my left hand (but not my right) whenever I ride a motorcycle, and it doesn't matter what bike it is.

So I think Richard may well have nailed it: it might be something to do with the riding position, and the vibration is a separate, unrelated thing.

Grumpy old man
On 22/04/2018 at 08:33, trisaki said:

Also check  chain  tension as most seem to be too tight 

Yes my thoughts as well.  I've found the NC likes the chain on the slack side of its tolerance. 

Thanks all for the advice. Found the chain was tight and the rear a little out of alignment. Otherwise nothing much wrong with the bike.  Perhaps the main culprit was a side wind that I hadn't previously noticed on an open stretch of road with a slightly uneven surface and then my imagination...

Thanks again for your help.

Btw, Ted how do I contact you about becoming a supporter member?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Markie said:

Thanks all for the advice. Found the chain was tight and the rear a little out of alignment. Otherwise nothing much wrong with the bike.  Perhaps the main culprit was a side wind that I hadn't previously noticed on an open stretch of road with a slightly uneven surface and then my imagination...

Thanks again for your help.

Btw, Ted how do I contact you about becoming a supporter member?

A good dose of imagination can create havoc.. :) 

To become a ‘site supporter’ look at the top of the page and there’s a big yellow button marked ‘donate’. Click on that and follow the instructions. Then drop Ted a PM because your donation will show your real name not your forum one and he needs to marry the two up. 

Grumpy old man
58 minutes ago, Tex said:

A good dose of imagination can create havoc.. :) 

Yep! I've fallen prey to that many times.