side stand

putz

Just putting a new sidestand on my nc700s dct this morning, thinking a easy job . A piece of copper dropped out of somewhere and now i cant get out of neutral. This must of been something to do with sidestand switch. The bike is needed for work monday is there any quick fix i can do to bypass it. thanks.

Dunnster

According to the diagram, there doesn't appear to be anything that could have fallen out. Unless it's from the switch..,

image.png

ye looked at that diagram hoping it was a copper washer , must have been something from switch, but what i dont know, thanks

embee
1 hour ago, putz said:

The bike is needed for work monday is there any quick fix i can do to bypass it. thanks.

You can bypass the sidestand switch by simply joining the two wires in the connector plug, that's effectively what the switch does when you put the stand up. BE WARNED though that it will no longer stop you from riding off with the stand down, so be extremely careful if contemplating doing this. I take no responsibility.

It should be fairly easy to find out what has gone wrong with your switch, have you located the switch drive pin correctly in the hole (from memory)? The switch is held on just by the small screw 5 in the parts diagram. I imagine the switch is full of oil/gunge from the chain, they usually are. Some cleaner might sort it, but not if something has fallen apart.

5adcabc039cc0_sidestandswitch.jpg.92f876ea67a0c94b4ed80e207dea8f22.jpg

thanks for the information , it looks like switch broken . I will go and join these wires together and put some sort of reminder on dash, cheers

Grumpy old man
15 minutes ago, putz said:

thanks for the information , it looks like switch broken . I will go and join these wires together and put some sort of reminder on dash, cheers

If the bike has a centre stand then just use that.

• Like 1

if it had one i would, but if switch is faulty it wont get out of neutral, down hill could work

Thanks guys, joined the wires and bike now working, going to order a new switch at the price of 90 pound, ouch. Just gotta remember to put stand up till then

• Sad 1

Centre stands on the auction site are £109 (new) and £92 (used). Used switches are cheap.

Edited by elbee
embee

The switches themselves are common on numerous Honda models, what makes them unique is usually just the length of the wire and sometimes they have clips etc moulded on. It's worth searching the auction site for "Honda sidestand switch" and seeing if you can find something with a wire which looks like it's long enough. The connectors are usually the same on all versions. They can usually be had for around £10 or so, at the worst it might mean extending the wires (use your old one as a donor).

Edited by embee
outrunner

Makes me think of the benefits of being brought up on old bikes with no electrical gizmos to go wrong. You only forget the side stand once, as I did about 50 years ago! :shocked:

Andy.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, outrunner said:

Makes me think of the benefits of being brought up on old bikes with no electrical gizmos to go wrong. You only forget the side stand once, as I did about 50 years ago! :shocked:

Andy.

I have done it few times but fortunately never on the Commando.

9 hours ago, outrunner said:

After that there was the "techical advance" of a side stand that flipped up automatically when the bike was raised. Just manoeurvring the bike a bit was enough to drop it if not paying attention.  :cry:

• Like 1
DaveM59

Check the picture of the switch before buying. As you have found not locating the switch correctly then raising the stand shears off the pin that turns the switch. A lot of used ones have had this done but some scrappers don't realise it. Those unscrupulous ones that do, photograph the switch so you can't see the pin and then claim it has been broken by you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for all the advice guys, used bike today and all ok, just got to remember stand untill new one fitted. 

• Like 2