Top tips to get the silencer off the header pipe

TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman

I tried heating it but that goop they put into seal the exhaust/header connection is to solid.  I tried heating it (run-in the bike) to no effect.  The silencer won't move or twist.

Anyone got any top tips before I lose it completely and break out the angle grinder?

Mr Toad

This is no help at all but what are you replacing it with? :) 

Bart Stilgo

I'm guessing any 'gunk' on it will be heat proof!

What about going the other way.  Freeze it.  Don't ask me how but don't plumbers have a piece of kit they use for freezing pipes

Sorry can offer any easy fixes :logik:

gonzo

Strange !   I had to remove mine a month ago, to get better access to the rear caliper , once the clamp was loosened off   , it came off with a twist and a pull  ! you might have to give it a waggle as well. !

Yes, it may depend on how long it's been fitted and what conditions it's been through. once removed for whatever reason, a smear of copper grease on the joint will help it slide on easily and should make life easier next time.

rjp996

to quote AvE (one of my YouTube weaknesses...) - tappy, tap tap ....

The paste is normally brittle and when tapped and wiggled around, the joint will start to crumble and give a bit (but I say normally....)

I had a flat thin metal L shaped rod I used on exhaust in the past to tap into the joint to open them up (and in the process break the sealing compound.

Away a pain when you get to a bit that's stuck however....

Trev

Yup to agree with Richard above, slowly and gently does it and it will move in the end. Not sure what 'goop' your referring to as not had any sealant, etc on either my NC or AT silencer? More likely a build up of corrosion and road dirt, you could try squirting some penetrating oil on the joint and leaving it over night, won't do any harm to try.

trisaki

Decent penetrating spray leave for 10 mins wiggle wiggle  twist wiggle some more it will come off done the same on a 32000 miler in my wshop today 

• Like 2
Andy m

Hammer a potato up the silencer then jump on the kick starter? Maybe that only "releases" the gasket on MZ's though? 🤔🤔🤐☺

Andy

• Haha 3
CFB

Are you talking about the silencer joint?

There shouldn't be any sealant or goo in the joint.

It is a carbon tubular gasket and is quite soft so shouldn't put up a fight.

Rotate and wriggle. The silencer, not you. 🤔

As Richard says above, a wide bladed screwdriver to widen the slots in the downpipe should do it.

• Like 1