Spark plug gap issue

blan

Hi everyone. I have an issue with the plugs in my NC700x. The manual for the NC states that the plugs are at the correct gap if a 1mm wire feeler gauge will "not" fit between the electrode and earth post and if it does the plug must be replaced and "not" altered. The problem is the specified new plugs (NGK IFR6G-11K as per the manual) are supplied with a gap of 1.1mm which as you will appreciate a 1mm wire gauge will fit through the gap like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. if the manual is stating you must not alter the plug why the hell is it supplied out of spec, someones got something wrong somewhere. Any thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Rofbox

I wouldn't have thought closing the gap to say 0.9mm, thereby bending it 0.2mm will have any detrimental effect on the plug whatsoever.  Just as long as you're not ham fisted when doing it.  

Rev Ken

'Ordinary' spark plugs with just one electrode are easy to adjust, just tap them on a hard surface jntil you've got the correct gap (practice makes perfect...). Iridium plugs shouldn't need adjusting. They maintain their gap for many thousands of miles and as supplied work perfectly.

embee

Leave them at 1.1mm, the "11" in the reference number NGK IFR6G-11K  means 1.1mm gap. That is the correct spec plug so should definitely be 1.1mm.

Edit - Just looked at the manual and it says gap = 1.0-1.1mm in the table. Leave them.

Edited by embee
  • Thanks 2
On 5/2/2018 at 11:08, embee said:

Leave them at 1.1mm, the "11" in the reference number NGK IFR6G-11K  means 1.1mm gap. That is the correct spec plug so should definitely be 1.1mm.

Edit - Just looked at the manual and it says gap = 1.0-1.1mm in the table. Leave them.

The manual also says a 1mm wire gauge should not pass through the gap and if it does replace the plug. I've now altered the plugs to 0.9mm and the bike runs much better, the engine idle is more stable, it purrs like a CAT. And seems to pull slightly better. The whole tone of the engine has changed.