Stuck changing front pads

rjp996

rjp996

Done these a couple of times but changing just now and I’m stuck......

issue is ive retracted the pistons right in but the new pad thickness does not allow the calipar to go over the disc. So the inner pad looks like the edge needs to line up with the channel in the claiper the disc runs through. If this was a car I would say the caliprer needs to slide accross on the slide pins, but on the NC the Caliper  appears to not want slide on the mounting plate. 

Does it have slide pins as cant seem to access them if there are as they look like blind pins :-(

Guest machinman

It sounds like your sliders are stuck not giving enough retraction. IIRC the caliper slider body should just pull off when the caliper is unbolted.

Take apart and give a good clean and grease, you should get full retraction then allowing you to clear the disc.

May be worth taping the rim to avoid scratching, its a very close fit.

Hope this helps.

Slacken off bleed nipple , make sure you clean off any dribbles of brake fluid from paintwork.

rjp996

If the carrier should slide off from the body  then I think that’s the prob. I looked at the manual and could not see any thing that held the carrier to the caliper once unbolted fromnthe Bike but mine is stuck fast. Looks like a job for the morning I’ve overcome the frustration of the day ;-)

Trumpet

The little rubber boots are over slide pins. The bracket that the bolts screw into should slide and ultimately pull off. Sound like they have picked up. Once you do get them moving, its important to regrease with red rubber or silicone grease, not car type lithium grease, as this attacka the rubber boots.

rjp996
10 hours ago, Trumpet said:

The little rubber boots are over slide pins. The bracket that the bolts screw into should slide and ultimately pull off. Sound like they have picked up. Once you do get them moving, its important to regrease with red rubber or silicone grease, not car type lithium grease, as this attacka the rubber boots.

Thanks - just looking at it again this morning. From the look in the manual the carrier part that has the ABS sensor attached to it has no mechanical fixing to the calliper apart from the slide pins being pushed into the calliper holes. Looks like one slide pin in attached to the calliper side (but can't see any nut head under the boot) and one fixed to the carrier where the abs is ( can see that pins nut). 

So my understanding it that I should be able to pull the calliper off the carrier (with the abs on it) without having to undo anything (apart from taking it off the bike that is)

if so mine is very well stuck as won't move in either directions and I will have to start applying force ;-)

trisaki
14 hours ago, Trumpet said:

And not copper grease 

rjp996

Ok problem solved and got them fixed. Ended up having to put the calliper in a vice, remove one of the pins you can get to and then rotating the calliper carrier around the other pin to release it.

what a job..... anyhow all brake silicones up and it slides on the pins lovely :-)

thanks for for all the help

Off to change the chain and sprockets now 

• Like 2
trisaki

Very few dealers ever grease those pins also the gear change lever pivot seen a lot of those semi seized can make changing gear tight and clunky / all these and many more  don't get me started on suspension dog bone and linkages with no grease anywhere to be seen   !  All things dealers should be doing as part of the servicing they offer to their customers  😂😂

Mark8arker

Didnt ride my bike for few weeks over bad weather. When went to ride again. The Front and Back brake had seized + Hand brake. The pins had corroded/pitted badly. No grease on them. Only done 2.5k on 2017 bike. All greased up now. After reading what you have done,  think i will do some preventive maintaince.

Trumpet

My 2017 Bike had brake problems until I realised the sliders were sticking. Has been fine once lubricated with the correct Grease. Shame on you Honda ..

Spike

Mmmmmmmm....  Going to check mine tomorrow I think!