Diagnostic tool

blan

Does anybody know of a decent diagnostic scan tool for motorcycles that doesn't cost the earth and where to purchase it ? All I can find Is car scan tools and the odd Chinese that auction site scanner that nobody has reviewed.

Tex

The problem is that there’s no ‘standard’ connection for motorcycles. Cars use the EOBDII (European Onboard Diagnostics 2) socket so any scanner will fit any car. The only (AFAIK) motorcycle manufacturer to adopt this is Triumph.

So, in a nutshell, a Honda scanner will only scan Hondas. It’s not worth the independent scanner makers trying to get into such a small market.

Andy m

Things like the Healtech and MCT-500 are reverse engineered, so while they will read the codes and Honda would be daft not follow closely the OBD2 protocol if not the interface wiring you can't be sure. The European companies (competitors of mine, I sell the pukka OE kit for trailers) at least do their homework while the Chinese pin out the hardware, get a connection then assume the OBD2 text is correct. 

Why do you feel the need for such a device? Most faults can be found with a multimeter. Many bikes have blink codes or fault messages on the display, only the Bavarians lock the service lights and key-code components (for which a GS-911 tool in the hands of an independent is valuable).  What will you spend with Honda for the odd fault they will confirm with their kit over the life of a tool that will last 7 years tops? An independent mechanic may get his moneys worth, the DIYer won't IMHO.

OT, but Blink code on an Enfield in action here

The video convinced the dealer to order the TPS and have in stock and warranty form filled in when I got there.

Andy

• Like 1