Mass airflow sensor ?

blan

Does the NC700x have a mass airflow sensor ? Because If it does I can't find it. I have searched every diagram and my bike and I'm buggered if I can locate it. Is it even called a MAF sensor or does it go by another name ? The only thing I can find on the intake side is the air temperature sensor.

NC run speed density system, air temp, rpm and throttle angle as well as manifold air pressure. ecu then calculates mas air from that. cars like honda and toyota have been doing it from the 90,s

ChrisCB
4 hours ago, blan said:

Does the NC700x have a mass airflow sensor ? Because If it does I can't find it. I have searched every diagram and my bike and I'm buggered if I can locate it. Is it even called a MAF sensor or does it go by another name ? The only thing I can find on the intake side is the air temperature sensor.

There is a unit that incorporates MAP and Throttle position. Item 1

block_66357.png

Edited by Chris750
Speeling mistook
ChrisCB

Another picture.

NC750XD%20Wiring.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Another picture.

NC750XD%20Wiring.png

Thanks for this info, much appreciated. Bit of a bugger though to clean this sensor having to take all that apart. If I'm not mistaken it would also mean having to go through the whole throttle closed reset procedure afterward ?

ChrisCB

The unit is the black box to the right in the 1st picture. In the second close up picture you can see the small hole where the manifold pressure is taken from.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

• Thanks 1
SteveThackery
7 hours ago, Chris750 said:

There is a unit that incorporates MAP and Throttle position.

Just so there is no risk of confusion to passers by: a MAP and a MAF are different things.

Very few bikes have a MAF due to packaging constraints and cost.  I think one of the BMWs has a MAF.  Our NCs definitely don't; they use a MAP and TPS.

(Manifold Absolute Pressure, Mass Air Flow, Throttle Position Sensor.)

• Like 2
SteveThackery
7 hours ago, tw586 said:

NC run speed density system, air temp, rpm and throttle angle as well as manifold air pressure. ecu then calculates mas air from that. cars like honda and toyota have been doing it from the 90,s

Strictly speaking the throttle angle isn't used in a speed-density system, but in the alpha-n system.

In reality all bikes are now "hybrid" in that they will switch between speed-density and alpha-n, and often combine them so there is no longer a real distinction.  I'll also point out - should anyone be interested - that the pressure measured in the manifold is absolute - that is, relative to a vacuum.  That way it takes into account the barometric pressure as well.

• Like 3
embee

As above.

The cleaning of MAF sensors is a thing usually necessary for those who have messed about with the intake system in some way.

They usually work by heating an element (either a wire or more usually a film these days) which is subjected to part of the intake airflow (usually on a bypass passage) and then measuring the power required to maintain the temperature. The cooling effect of the air depends on the mass flow and the air temperature difference so the heat loss can be used as a measure of mass flow into the engine. If you fit a less effective air filter it can let through road dust which will contaminate the MAF element and change the characteristics.

Engine breathers usually enter after the MAF sensor to avoid contamination with oil and also to avoid measuring the blowby gas (inert) as though it was air.

There should be no need to clean anything routinely in the NC throttle body assembly. Pressure sensors aren't affected by the contamination in the same way MAF sensors are.

Edited by embee