Tyre Feathering

Bigglesaircraft

Bigglesaircraft

I think that is the correct term for the trailing edge on the tyre tread blocks to "feather", can someone explain why this happens?

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
Spelling again
rjp996

This link has a great youtube video on it showing how the edge of the tread block deforms and wears - is this the issue you are seeing.

What tyre do you see it on

Bigglesaircraft

I have Battlax on, not sure if cupping is what's happening, the leading edge of each tyre block is wearing slightly less than the block itself and forming a feathery edge to the block, particularly on the edge on the tyre. It is only happening on the rear, in my rally days it was usually caused by excessive power application when cornering. But I would not have thought that this would be the reason on a 700 X.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
PoppetM

Photo perhaps?

Bigglesaircraft

Have tried, but so far phone and kindle not very good so will try with a camera on a stand to try to get better focus, will try.

rjp996

David - all my PR4's have worn this way - front and rear. Number of others have also mentioned, and seemed common to the Tyre when I spoke to a fitter. Although, especially when the front is worn very low, the wear pattern looks crazy, ive had no problems with how it handles (surprisingly) - I think im on my 3rd front PR4 and about the 6th rear now. Im going to change to the Road5 in the next few weeks, the tread pattern is very different, and see if it wears better.

Swissheavy

I’m loving the look and principles of the Road 5. Very clever what they’ve managed to do. 

• Like 1
skorpion

If you run your hand lightly around a motorcycle tyre that has over 1000 miles of use you will feel a slight edge lifting to the tread,

front of the tread on the front wheel, rear on the back wheel.

This is quite normal, nothing to worry about and is caused by the forces put through the tyre by braking and accelerating.

• Thanks 1