Memorable first ride with problems

Guest telboy

Guest telboy

As a new member I stated that I would tell of my experience in riding my newly purchased NC750x DCT registered  2015, that I collected on April 25th 2018, so here goes.

The bike was purchased privately and involved a journey by train from my home in Llandudno north wales to Chichester near Portsmouth. I had researched the history of the bike and was very pleased with the condition and test ride plus the host of very useful extras that the bike came with.

The journey home would be 300 miles and this went very  well (although lots of heavy rain) until I had covered 230 miles and then the bike just lost power, as if I had run out of fuel, but this could not be the case as I had filled up about 10 miles back.

The symptoms were if you turned the key on and before you tried the starter button a ticking or clicking sound was heard from below the seat area and pressing the starter button did nothing. I switched the bike on and off several times and the clicking noise always came back and the bike refused to start. I can confirm that the battery was good as the lights came on and did not dim on pressing the starter button.

This happened on the M54/A5 road heading to North Wales via Telford. Luckily the Bike was covered by Honda care for a six month period from when the previous owner had purchased (from a main Honda dealer) and this is automatically transferred to the new owner. So I phoned Honda and they treated my case as urgent for RAC recovery due to my location.

I had the hazed warning lights on and tried to start the bike repeatedly, but got the same fault condition, the clicking sound on just by turning the ignition key and no difference when the starter button pressed.

The RAC man arrived and the bike was loaded onto the trailer, as RAC man was at the end of his working shift he would transport the bike to the next service station on the A5 and arrange for another recovery service to take me home.

As the bike was unloaded we decided to test the starting again and to our surprise it started, I did a small test run and all seemed OK so I decided to try and continue to ride the bike home  another 70 miles, the second pickup truck was cancelled, because if the bike did fail again I could always phone Honda Care.

The bike made it home with no further problems and the next day i booked it into the local dealers who could only check the problem on the 25th of May.

At this stage the dealer has not yet seen the bike and I have completed a further 320 miles with no problem at all. I just hope that when the bike goes in on the 25th of this month a fault will show on further inspection?

Sorry for the long winded story but hope that some other rider out there might have any experience of this type of fault?

Spindizzy

Sounds a bit like fuel pump as the tank is under the seat. Check the connections  

Starter solenoid? Did you properly check if the batt is healthy or not?  As for the lights, i stand to be corrected, but i think they are hard wired and should turn off when pressing starter button.

Tonyj

That's such a rotten feeling . 

Rocker66

I hope that you it proves to be something simple and you are soon able to enjoy the bike with no concerns.

embee

Starter solenoid sounds the most likely issue. There was a recall for these at the start of the 750 production, could well be yours was one affected and maybe didn't have the part changed. The recall ought to be recorded in the service booklet, but dealers are very lax on doing this sort of thing. You might be able to check if yours was affected here http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/recalls-and-updates.html

If the battery really is good then that's the most likely thing.

Interestingly (perhaps) I recently got called to a customer with an Iseki 2-cyl diesel garden tractor which wouldn't start, same symptoms. Checked volts were getting to where they should and decided to investigate the starter motor assembly (usual automotive style with solenoid piggybacked). Very nicely made Denso item. Removed solenoid end cap and took out the iron core which carries a thick copper ring for the contacts. The face of the ring was cruddy and blackened from years of service (20yrs old to my knowledge). Cleaned the face, and the 2 copper contact pads in the body, reassembled in Haynes fashion and away it went.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
kayz1

When the dealers did the Recall for the starter solenoid they were meant to put a pin punch mark on the head stock ( i think on the right side.) But the exact spot i can not remember sorry. Again as Murry says it should be on the Honda recall computer and ColwynBay can see if it has been done. If you ring them ask

nicely i do not see why they would not tell you. Or even go in and speak to the new service manager or better still Trev in the stores .

Lyn. 

Spindizzy
3 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

When the dealers did the Recall for the starter solenoid they were meant to put a pin punch mark on the head stock ( i think on the right side.) But the exact spot i can not remember sorry. Again as Murry says it should be on the Honda recall computer and ColwynBay can see if it has been done. If you ring them ask

nicely i do not see why they would not tell you. Or even go in and speak to the new service manager or better still Trev in the stores .

Lyn. 

Punch mark is on the back end under the rear seat on the frame

Guest Hants73

Sounds very similar to a problem I had with mine . It would just cut out for no apparent reason then refuse to start but only happened when hot. Turns out it was the fuel pump relay which was not pushed into its position fully once Honda took the bike apart and reconnected everything properly all good and touch wood no issues since and that was over 2 years ago.