Rear brake clicking

Guest Dhoadley

Guest Dhoadley

2017 750s, ever since getting new road 5s fitted the rear brake makes an awful click/ crunch either when breaking or when pulling away. 

It actually brakes fine, it's not the abs kicking in and I've fitted new pads so I know it's not that. The spring pin did look a little bit bent on one side to me so could it be that?

Also since taking the spring clip out I can't figure out what way it should sit in the caliper if somebody could help? The spring has a shorter and longer side to it and I've put the shorter side to the left of the caliper. 

It's such an annoying click I really want to get to the bottom of it! Cheers 

Item 7 here is the spring clip. The short side goes to the fixed pad side of the caliper, the pad doesn't move relative to the caliper and clip. The piston side moves so the spring clip section is wider to accommodate the movement.

HTH

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2017/NC750SAH/Frame/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER/97622/F_17/2/27494

REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2017-NC750SAH-F_17.jpg.c1a15fafd8104541e45f0564c0f34f14.jpg

5d62fc6eee9d3_NC750Scaliperdetail.jpg.e3e7e4142c2326a82132168b06ae63f0.jpg

Edited by embee

the chain on mine was a bit dry and stuck once and that made a clunk. could it be cush drive ?

Grumpy old man

Have the pads been dislodged from their seats at the front of the calliper?  Or if it's a DCT then perhaps the hand brake. The caliper has been slid on the locking block? 😔

Edited by Grumpy old man
Guest Dhoadley

Hey all thanks for the replies, deffo not the chain I fitted it before the clunking as it was pretty stretched but the click persists.

The pads are seated well with the bottom sitting nicely on the plate at the bottom and the retaining pin is through them and also in good condition. 

I have noticed if I have the rear wheel up on the centre stand and move the wheel back and forth while applying the brake I can replicate a similar sound to the click I get when riding. 

It looks like the pads have too much movement and are hitting the pad pin making the clicking noise. 

I deffo had the spring clip in the wrong way around so although I've swapped it around I think it mate have been bent so I'm ordering a new one and I'll see if that does the job. 

Will let you know how I get on!

Grumpy old man

Hi

Hope you get it sorted and please let us know what the problem was.

Guest Dhoadley

Update time!

The clicking had become worse and wasn't just when breaking last night so I decided to have a look at the chain. 

Yup chain looks okay... Tension good... It's aligned fine... It's a new chain with not too many miles on it and same goes for the sprockets...

Turn the wheel around a quarter turn and ah, chain is massively out of tension. It's a new chain so I know there's no tight spots so that's not causing the irregular tension. 

Bit of googling and it turns out there is a right and wrong way to place the rear sprocket on the carrier. I don't mean it was back to front but after getting the rear wheel out and taking off the sprocket, moving it one turn so it was on different bolts on the sprocket carrier and put it back together and my chain now has perfect tension all the way around. 

I have never come across something like this before and didn't think there was a right or wrong way to put a sprocket on as it looks even all the way around but I stand mistaken! 

Took the bike out for a ride this morning and a good 95% of the click has gone - the 5% I think is still the caliper spring pad as that was quite badly bent from putting it in the wrong way around so I'm picking up a new spring pad tonight and will get that fitted. 

Hope this may help somebody in the future, funny how you can be so adamant it's one thing just to realise it's something completely different. Moral of the story is...  If your chain is good but has loose and tight spots well worth trying the rear sprocket on a different bolt. 

33 minutes ago, Dhoadley said:

Bit of googling and it turns out there is a right and wrong way to place the rear sprocket on the carrier. I don't mean it was back to front but after getting the rear wheel out and taking off the sprocket, moving it one turn so it was on different bolts on the sprocket carrier and put it back together and my chain now has perfect tension all the way around. 

I haven't taken the sprocket off my NC750 and only have a PDF service manual for an NC700 where I can see no mention of rotating the sprocket to a specific position. Perhaps it is somehow possible to tighten the sprocket without it seating properly? If so, maybe your quarter turn just meant it seated properly this time.

Guest Dhoadley
15 minutes ago, elbee said:

I haven't taken the sprocket off my NC750 and only have a PDF service manual for an NC700 where I can see no mention of rotating the sprocket to a specific position. Perhaps it is somehow possible to tighten the sprocket without it seating properly? If so, maybe your quarter turn just meant it seated properly this time.

I totally see your point but it was seated perfectly before, it's not something I've come across before but it worked that's all I know! Here's a video I watched that made me think of swapping to another hole:

Ah, I see. So the sprocket has worn or was manufactured "oval".  I don't think the number of links in the chain is an exact multiple of the number of rear sprocket teeth (meaning a tighter link would always be meshing over the same tooth), so I guess the quality of the metal making up the sprocket must vary, but that's a newish chain and sprocket you say? Weird!

Guest Dhoadley
42 minutes ago, elbee said:

Ah, I see. So the sprocket has worn or was manufactured "oval".  I don't think the number of links in the chain is an exact multiple of the number of rear sprocket teeth (meaning a tighter link would always be meshing over the same tooth), so I guess the quality of the metal making up the sprocket must vary, but that's a newish chain and sprocket you say? Weird!

Brand new sprocket and chain and it had the loose tight issue I'm no mechanic so i am not too sure on reasoning as to why it worked but it did so I'm one happy rider. 

alhendo1
On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 11:23, Dhoadley said:

Brand new sprocket and chain and it had the loose tight issue I'm no mechanic so i am not too sure on reasoning as to why it worked but it did so I'm one happy rider. 

This video might explain the phenomenon 😅