Bike not starting

rjp996

Past 3 days the bike when I go to start it has just turned over and not started. Turn ignition on and off a few times and it will suddenly start without issue right away after a couple of ignition cycles. 

Battery is original- 4 years old but it's turning over well

my other thought is the relay for the fuel pump... would possibly explain why turning on and off the ignition a few times helps is the relay is on the way out. I'm guessing the relays are just mini automotive type on the main fuse board. 

• Sad 1

I had the fan relay fail on my Integra, the fan and fuel pump relay are identical so I'd say it's quite possible. On my 700 they are together at the front of the right fairing, obviously other models will differ.

I managed to pick up a couple of genuine ones from the auction site so carry a spare.

If you want to check yours you can swap the two, on the understanding that the fan may not work if it is faulty.

The other thing I had was a corroded contact in the connector to the right side switch block, this supplies the run signal to the pump relay. I'd check that connector, it's about a foot or so from the handlebars down the loom.

• Like 3

Morning Richard, I suspect you’re on the right lines. When you turn the ignition on do you hear the fuel pump prime the system (a buzzing noise)? If it’s ‘yes’ then obviously your relay is fine. If ‘no’ (until after you have turned it on and off a couple of times) then the relay should be on your list of suspects along with poor connections (including on the relay and fuses themselves). As Murray has just said, there’s  a connector block just down from the kill switch that’s well worth cleaning/checking.

Next time it won’t start, instead of turning the key on and off try flicking the kill switch on and off and see if that’s helpful..

Good luck.

• Like 3

thanks - tried the kill switch - not the issue - however the fuel pump is not priming when key turned - so looks like its the relay... thanks all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
trisaki

Out of interest  try flicking the side stand up and try , sometimes  this is the issue on my 700x , , spins over a few times then out of the blue it fires up , only happens when on the  side stand 

• Like 3