Chain replacement question

axis

Hi all - please advise on a question I have regarding chain and sprocket replacement. I plan to buy new sprockets and chain for my 2014 NC750X DCT, and have someone fit them for me. Having searched this site it seems I need a 39 rear and 17 front sprocket, and that JT steel are OK. For the chain, the DID VX3 seems to be a good idea. My question is about the chain type - endless or open with a rivet link? Both types seem to be 112  links long. What's the benefit of either ?

Also, while this is being done, I'd like to get the cush drive rubbers changed and swing arm bearings greased. Anything else I should consider ?

thanks

open ended with rivit link...

if you are having the swing arm out, you may be able to go endless... not sure on claearance etc... open ended is usuall...

of the past 5 chains on my NC 4 have been endless and one rivet.

I have gone endless because when ive been changing the chain ive been dropping the swing arm to grease the bearings on that and the dog bones, so why not use endless - its not much trouble to do at all.

Last chain I did was rivet, but only as I could not easy find an endless this time (the ones I could find were over priced compare to the rivet).

Next one I will probably go endless again if the price is ok as after the winter I will need to service the swing arm again

DID VX2 and now VX3 are what I have been using, along with the JT Sprockets without any problems

58 minutes ago, axis said:

….. I plan to buy new sprockets and chain for my 2014 NC750X DCT, and have someone fit them for me. …..

thanks

I'd suggest dropping Trisaki on this forum a message and ask about fitting. He is not a million miles from you (going by the info) and will definitely do a good job, consider having the rear suspension bearings greased at the same time etc.

Endless chain has the advantage of being factory assembled so all the joints are pretty much guaranteed. Rivetting requires a little bit of skill/knowledge plus the correct tools, fine if done properly. Fitting an endless chain means the swingarm has to come out, not a huge job on an NC but takes another hour or so probably.

Thanks for the responses folks. I think I will go with an open  DID VX3 520 112 link.

trisaki
6 hours ago, axis said:

Hi all - please advise on a question I have regarding chain and sprocket replacement. I plan to buy new sprockets and chain for my 2014 NC750X DCT, and have someone fit them for me. Having searched this site it seems I need a 39 rear and 17 front sprocket, and that JT steel are OK. For the chain, the DID VX3 seems to be a good idea. My question is about the chain type - endless or open with a rivet link? Both types seem to be 112  links long. What's the benefit of either ?

Also, while this is being done, I'd like to get the cush drive rubbers changed and swing arm bearings greased. Anything else I should consider ?

thanks

Shock linkage grease up

All done, fitted and is certainly a bit smoother. I did get 40,000 miles out of the original chain with a Tutoro fitted from day 1, and only had to adjust the tension 3 times so pretty pleased. thanks all

• Like 2
SteveThackery
On 2/6/2020 at 12:37, embee said:

Endless chain has the advantage of being factory assembled so all the joints are pretty much guaranteed

Unless it's an Indian-made chain.  :)

• Haha 1