Replacement key

Ron Dusznyj

Ron Dusznyj

I have lost a set of keys so only have one spare. So according to my local dealer to get a replacement I have to buy a blank key from Honda, get it cut by a locksmith then take it back to Honda with the bike for programming. 

Has anybody done this and if so are there any recommendations e.g. buying the key elsewhere etc? In other words trying to avoid the main dealer with the associated inflated costs!

Yes you can do it without dealer visit as long as you already have a programmed key.  I did it the HISS system on my Pan ST1300.  I’d think the NC would be similar. Cost was about £16 incl a HISS key from the auction site, cutting at local place, and making a simple wiring loom to allow programming 

Search this forum for more info and also search the net for videos to show the process.

Ron Dusznyj

I managed to find a solution to this. I found a local locksmith who ordered the key, cut it and programmed it all for £50. A "while you wait service" - all done in 20 minutes. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say who the company is but if I am then tell me and I will provide the details. Everything works fine by the way, the only thing that I noticed was that the dash display went plain white so you have to reset it. That exercise itself was quite interesting as I didn't realise all the different features/data that can be displayed!

32 minutes ago, Ron Dusznyj said:

I managed to find a solution to this. I found a local locksmith who ordered the key, cut it and programmed it all for £50. A "while you wait service" - all done in 20 minutes. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say who the company is but if I am then tell me and I will provide the details. Everything works fine by the way, the only thing that I noticed was that the dash display went plain white so you have to reset it. That exercise itself was quite interesting as I didn't realise all the different features/data that can be displayed!

Hiya Ron.

Where is the locksmith located?

I assume you took the bike to the locksmith?

£50 is reasonable for this service.

I've just paid £16 for an aftermarket key and am yet to find out how much to have it cut.

I will then program it myself following some guidance from good old U tube.

Regards.

Mark

• 9 months later...

So how have the locksmiths programmed the key? Are they now able to do it without having to put key into bike ignition etc?  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 08/03/2020 at 11:56, Ron Dusznyj said:

I have lost a set of keys so only have one spare. So according to my local dealer to get a replacement I have to buy a blank key from Honda, get it cut by a locksmith then take it back to Honda with the bike for programming. 

Has anybody done this and if so are there any recommendations e.g. buying the key elsewhere etc? In other words trying to avoid the main dealer with the associated inflated costs!

Via Moto in Sheffield told me I had to buy the key from them at £54.11

take it to Harrolds  (they are good) in sheffield to get it cut ........£15-20 rough guess by honda guy

then take it back to Via Moto to be progrommed ........................  £ 35

Total   £ 104.11  maybe £109

Then just when Im thinking **** me I 'm not paying that he goes and adds  VAT to the whole thing £135  in total which is wrong three ways

Harrolds cutting prices include VAT...  VAT is 20%   he was adding on 29/30%      ......And lets face it even £104 for replacement key is daylight robbery

So don't go there for a key..  please let us know if you find anyone more reasonable

I also asked them about doing me an MOT...  This a Honda dealership and guess what .. they don't do MOTs ...  I can only assume that's because they do not have the ability to carry one out.

Almost all my experiences with this particular bike shop have been negative

except for the Parts Clothing Boots and stuff guy who does give the impression he knows what he's doing

• Like 1
Andy m
16 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

Almost all my experiences with this particular bike shop have been negative

Same here. 

Key wise Harrolds can programme car keys, so can probably do the bikes as well. This will be to clone the key you still have where as Honda can set up a completely new one.

Andy

Empty_Ten
34 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

Via Moto in Sheffield told me I had to buy the key from them at £54.11

then take it back to Via Moto to be progrommed ........................  £ 35

Unbelievable.

When I got my replacement key from Yamaha, they coded it for free (or included it within the price of the replacement key at £50 odd quid).  It literally took minutes for it to be done.