No rear brake

joydrive

I cannot get  air  out of rear brake. I removed caliper ro check . Did not disconnect brake line or loose any fluid. After reinstalling caliper I had no pedal. I tried bleeding and using bleeder pump and still no success. Got some fluid out with pump but I still have no pedal pressure. Reservoir kept full. I have never had problems bleeding brakes. 2015 NC700 DCT ABS. Help !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Graham NZ

Maybe try this - depress the pedal fully, put something on it to keep it down and leave it like that overnight.  While doing that have the reservoir full with the lid just sitting loosely without the bellows in it so it can breathe a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

You can also take the calliper off the disc, leave the pipe connected, put a bit of wood in to stop it closing up, raise as high as possible and try bleeding from there. You can also try with a syringe to flow fluid as fast as you back through the system. 

Air goes to the highest point. By taking the pipe off the calliper the bubble created when put back together has risen either into a corner of the calliper or the top of the ABS modulator. In situe with the bleed nipple low, only flow will shift it. Create a new high point and it might move easier. 

Andy

• Like 1

If it’s a 700 it will have linked brakes. Would bleeding the front be necessary too? Don’t know, just thinking aloud.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

Why would he lose the pressure just by taking  the caliper off, I know you have to pump it up a few times to settle the piston but he shouldn't lose pressure completely. Unless the OP opened the bleed nipple thinking pressure had gone before pumping it up fully. I believe the linked system can be a bugger to bleed. Where's Embee.? One thing for the pressure is always on Embee 😊

• Like 2
Derek_Mac

With linked brakes you bleed the rear brake by bleeding the centre bleed nipple on the front brake caliper first before bleeding the nipple on the rear caliper.

There isn't a problem bleeding the linked system in my experience, you just need to do things in the correct order.

• Like 3
embee

Looking at the fiches at https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/700-MOTO/NC/2015/NC700XDF/Frame/2/19977 it appears the US spec bikes didn't have the linked brakes. The US continued to get the 700 long after many other markets had moved to the 750 with the associated move from linked to non-linked brakes, but it would appear that the US brakes were common with the later 750 in the UK/Euro spec for example.

• Like 3
Dunnster

As you've tried to bleed it I would start again. As others have said your model will have linked brakes so a slightly different bleeding process.

Rear brake pedal reservoir sequence ;

1. Front brake calliper centre bleed valve

2. Rear brake calliper bleed valve 

• Connect a bleed hose to the front brake calliper center bleed valve. (Not the top one)
  • Pump the brake pedal a 5-10 times quickly, then push the brake pedal all the way down, loosen the front brake calliper centre bleed valve.
  • Wait a few seconds and then close the bleed valve
  • Release the brake pedal slowly, wait a few seconds after its reached the end of its travel.
  • Repeat above steps until air bubbles have gone.

• Connect a bleed hose to the rear brake calliper bleed valve
  • Pump the brake pedal a 5-10 times quickly, then push the brake pedal all the way down, loosen the rear calliper bleed valve.
  • Wait a few seconds and then close the bleed valve
  • Release the brake pedal slowly, wait a few seconds after its reached the end of its travel.
  • Repeat above steps until air bubbles have gone.
  • Like 1
embee
1 minute ago, Dunnster said:

@embeeHmmm this is confusing US article says it has linked brakes.

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2015/2015-Honda-NC700XD-DCT-ABS

Easy way to tell?? if the front calliper has an upper and middle bleed nipple it has linked brakes. If only an upper bleed nipple it is non- linked?

From looking at the picture in that link, it doesn't look like a linked brake front caliper to me (click on the picture and it comes up as a full page version).

• Like 2
Dunnster
1 minute ago, embee said:

From looking at the picture in that link, it doesn't look like a linked brake front caliper to me (click on the picture and it comes up as a full page version).

Your right! But the write up says it does?!

• Like 1
Graham NZ

Ant joy yet, joydrive?

Hi I'm a noob to the site, with a lovely 2014 NC700X.

I'm possibly having a similar problem; having bled about 300ml of fluid through the rear calliper bleed nipple I still have not got any pedal pressure.

I attempted to follow the Honda bleed sequence. I tried the front calliper centre bleed nipple where I was able to bleed some fluid, without bubbles. I then continued to the rear calliper bleed nipple where I was bleeding a lot of fluid through and there were lots of bubbles. This was with a small miti-vac pump. 

I'm wondering if it might be the rear master cylinder sucking in air, because I can hear a hissing sound when I press the pedal.

Thinking about it I've also had a sticking rear calliper a couple of times, and this is after servicing the calliper; cleaning and then lubing the pistons with red rubber grease. 

So I'm just wondering if it could be a seal that has gone in the rear master cylinder.

Mine is C-ABS and I managed to bleed the front 2 pistons via the "upper" bleed nipple on the front calliper without major problems.

Rocker66

Hi John welcome to the forum. I’m sure that someone far better qualified than me will be along to answer your question.