How to dismount all the plastics?

Guest Markino

Hi guys!

I'm going to install an alarm to my NC700X and other stuffs and since I can't find the service manual (someone can help me in PM?).... can you help me to dismount all the plastics in the best way?

What about the wiring diagram?

I need for the alarm a 12V direct connected to the battery (is there some plugs to use?), a positive pin connected to the ingection (key on) and the 2 lines for the tourn signal (left and right) at least...

I can give you some pointers. Some things to bear in mind when doing this first time, basically if there is any section that won't budge its held in with a Mushroom Tab(?) or a bolt, DON'T force anything. If it won't move grab a torch and start looking around the area that won't budge, there will probably be a bolt or Mushroom tab holding it. You need to keep track of where each bolt and mushroom came from, the bolts have different depth collars. I layed the bolts and mushrooms out in a pattern matching where they came from.

Start with the glossy fake air intakes, (got the grills at the front but they don't go anywhere). To get these off lift the not tank lid and undo the visible cross head screw, then move to the front, on the inside top where the forks are there are two plastic mushroom tabs, to remove these push the centre in with your finger nail and they then pull out. That panel can now be pulled backwards gently and it will unslot itself.

To put those black tabs back in you have to widen the end and pull backwards so the centre piece is now sticking out, you then reinsert them and then push the centre piece in flush to lock it in place. The Owners Manual has instructions for them, (I think they are quite good)

With the those two panels removed and the battery exposed in the not tank you may have enough room to do what you want but taking off the side panels does make things easier.

Next remove the front seat, two bolts (look underneath this, it has a plastic L shape tab that needs to be slotted underneath another bit of plastic when re-inserting

The glossy and matt side panels have to come off in one piece, you can't seperate them until they are off the bike. Unfortunately with these, the tail panels overlap them. It may be possible to get them off without removing the tail section but I wasn't brave enough, I thought something was going to snap and even if I succeeded I thought it would be a real pig trying to get them back in. So unfortunately you have remove most of tail section.

Remove the rear seat (3 nuts) and be very careful not to lose the clip\spring\washer that props the seat up.

Remove the grab rails, two bolts each.

Remove the small top tail piece section, two bolts and slides off backwards (not easily). This will reveal two screws holding the two tail side panels together, remove those, you can then remove each side panel (there are some mushroom tabs on the underside.

You can now remove the side panels once you have found all the hidden bolts \ mushrooms. There are a couple to undo within the inside rim of the not tank, at the rear of the not tank on the outside there are three mushroom tabs close together, the outer ones have to come out to remove the side panels, there is also an indented section there on each side which is hiding a bolt (with a thin collar) . Under the nose section there are also some mushroom tabs recessed away. Whilst you at the nose section grab a torch and shine it back into the bike, there is a cross head screw hiding in there also. On each side panel there is only one pointy bit of plastic which slides into a frame mounted rubber bung (at the bottom of the panel). Once you have that pulled out everything else is mushrooms and bolts so don't force anything.

With all the mushrooms and bolts removed that side panel should now pull backwards and out( the matt front section is slotted like the first glossy panel you removed).

Once you have done it once its not too bad. I had 4 mushroom tabs left over when I first did it, 2nd time I foud out where they went and put them back but I still ended up with two difrerent ones left over. :)

Seriously, its fun...

SP_A1170.jpg

Edited by shiggsy
  • Like 2

Looking at the rear frame tube ends gaping holes,

does the internal part of the tubes look coated/painted or otherwise condensation protected?

Are the holes covered/plugged by the platsics?

Could there be rust developed after years of use and the tubes rigidity compensated from the inside?

Why? If I get my hands on the NC it will be for the very very long run.

Nice observation Mi_ka! The frame is made from steel so if it's not painted inside it may rust although the holes are covered by the fairing. Hmmm...

I didn't take a special look but I think its coated inside as well. That shot is from when I was about to ACF50 the bike. I removed all the panels, instrument cluster, wheels and brake pads. I bought 4 litres of ACF50 and a 3 litre garden sprayer. However it wasn't until had the bike stripped down that I discovered the title of "Garden Spurter" would have been more appropriate, it was crap for this purpose. But I persevered, spurted about £50 worth of ACF50 onto the bike, of which about £30 is now preventing my concrete garage floor from corroding. I squirted inside the frame wherever I could and especially into those weld joins.

• 7 months later...
Guest sidemp

Hi Shiggsy, I just wanted to say this is a really helpful post and an impressive effort.. I'm going to attempt the same next week / weekend.. how long did it take to do..?

shiggsy

Can't remember exactly, I think I did it over a bank holiday weekend to give myself enough time to get things back together incase I got stuck. Think it took until lunchtime to get it to that state, I was taking my time and there was some head scratching going on whilst trying to figure how to get bits that wouldn't budge off.

Guest bigjeff

it is all in the service manual - pictures and instructions.  I got one (a service manual) on that auction site.

michael

Very helpful! Alleviated some anxiety about my next project, thanks for posting up with pictures.

• 5 months later...
Huskyteer

there are two plastic mushroom tabs, to remove these push the centre in with your finger nail and they then pull out. That panel can now be pulled backwards gently and it will unslot itself.

THANK YOU! Trying to access the battery and those things were driving me crackers.