Swingarm Lubrication?

Spike

I'm sure I've seen some, but for the life of me can't find any now!

Are there step by step instructions on how to drop and lubricate the swingarm?

:question:

Dave H

Everytime I do it I think  'I must drill, tap and fit some grease nipples'  but I've yet to do it. Maybe next time.

• Like 2
rjp996

its in the manual downloadable from various places

Readers Digest version :

Remove rear wheel

Undo dog bones to separate from the bottom of shock

Remove the plate thats got the foot pegs on it - on the chain side comes off total, on the exhaust side just pull to one side to give access to the Swing arm bolt

Undo Swing arm bolt and drove out the swing arm bolt (I use a long 1/2 inch extension bar

thats about it - I them clean up and grease the dog bone parts and also the needle bearings on the swing arm and put back together

Start to end prob takes me 3 hrs, with a reasonable bit being re aligned the rear wheel / setting the chin tension (im a perfectionist...)

Forgot - you need to remove the clips that hold all the brake lines down to the swign arm also

Edited by rjp996
  • Like 3
Grumpy old man

Forgive me but just in case, the rear wheel must be hanging like on a centre stand not on a paddock stand. Sorry don't want to be teaching granny how to suck eggs.

• Like 2
shiggsy

Not sure I would want to do it with the rear wheel in place. Its an annual job for me now to grease the lower bearing set, normally do it on the first tyre change after the winter.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
3 minutes ago, shiggsy said:

Not sure I would want to do it with the rear wheel in place. Its an annual job for me now to grease the lower bearing set, normally do it on the first tyre change after the winter.

Sorry if you misunderstood my comment,  you can remove the wheel on a paddock stand  but don't undo the suspension links on a paddock stand. There must be no weight on swing arm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As always, thank you fellow forum members.

Really helpful and another job I can (hopefully!) get done during lockdown.

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1
Defender

With all these job's we're doing ourselves when the dealers open back they'll be nothing left for them to do!

• Haha 1
DaveM59

Yes they will, a backlog of expired MOTs that will be coming to the end of the 6 month extension, plus all those that narrowly missed out on it.

• Like 2

For the record, I’m still having my MOTs done on the appointed date. I am well past wriggling about under a car checking brake hoses and all that other gubbins. The six month extension is optional rather than mandatory. The Triumph isn’t due until November anyway, not that I am wearing it out at the moment.. 🙄

• Like 2