Oil light just came on after only 450 miles!?

Guest MilkyJoe

Guest MilkyJoe

I've just parked my X DCT in my garage - after a 50 mile trip - and noticed the oil light was on. Worryingly, I don't know how long it had been on (I hadn't noticed it was on whilst riding though). I've only done 450 careful miles, so it can't be out of oil yet, surely?

When checking the oil, I held the bike up-right and there is oil on the dip-stick. It's quite hard to tell exactly what level it's at though - I'll try again in a moment.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Edited by MilkyJoe

It's not just the oil level being low it's a lack of oil pressure that makes the light come on.

Sounds like it's getting low on pressure when it's hot. I'd be dropping the oil and making sure the replacement is of the specified grade. Who knows what the dealer has put in it?

It's not just the oil level being low it's a lack of oil pressure that makes the light come on.

Sounds like it's getting low on pressure when it's hot. I'd be dropping the oil and making sure the replacement is of the specified grade. Who knows what the dealer has put in it?

With 450 miles would it not be oil that it came with from the factory? Or are they delivered dry?

Just take it to your deal and get them to check it out..... for your peace of mind...

Edited by wozza
Guest billc700s

Did you check when warm?, Honda Crowthorne told me to check when warm about 10 mins after a run, do not screw in the dipstick to check or you will have too little oil, the dipstick should be just cleaned and dipped till it touches the screw thread then checked and should be between the mark and bottom of the stick. If you screw it in to check you will not have enough oil as you will get a false reading.