Engine noise when clutch is released

Basilpot

Basilpot

I have had the 750x manual a week now and really enjoy riding it. It is a 2014 reg with 16000 miles on the clock. One thing I have noticed is with the clutch in the engine sounds fine. When clutch is released there is a very slight rattle noise from the engine. Is this normal for this bike or do I need to worry? This only happens with the engine idling in neutral.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Case

• Rocker66

• Xactly

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, well no disrespect to Paulb, but I'm going to recommend that you don't put anything in the engine that isn't approved or specified by Honda.

Normal, embarrassing isn't it,  also the thrust bearings rumble. To quote a very wise man (Tex) " The Nc sounds like two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin " 😂.

The time to worry is when it's not rattling. That because its stopped for some reason. 

Spindizzy

Normal, clutch plates rattling. Noisier when hot

Grumpy old man

Normal, embarrassing isn't it,  also the thrust bearings rumble.

To quote a very wise man (Tex) " The Nc sounds like two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin " 😂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
fred_jb
10 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Normal, embarrassing isn't it,  also the thrust bearings rumble.

To quote a very wise man (Tex) " The Nc sounds like two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin " 😂.

I always thought mine sounded like a coffee grinder!

• Haha 2
Mr Toad

Good job it's not a Ducati........ :) 

Basilpot

That's good to know. Good analogies. Ha ha

At least put my mind to rest.

• Like 1
Ciaran

They make a while host of rattles and squeaks and whines. There's the tyre noise through the front fairing, clutch rattles, I've heard a few manuals (particularly S's) with a distinct high pitch whine on light to moderate throttle till the exhaust drowns it out...many many more.

Earplugs and/or a louder aftermarket exhaust my friend. :angel:

MatBin

I wear earplugs, only time I hear any noise is when it accelerates from very low revs and sounds like a big single, which I quite like. Accelerate being a relative term of course driven by probably about 15 bhp at 2000 rpm.

Spindizzy

The time to worry is when it's not rattling. That because its stopped for some reason. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hello everyone add some liquid moly engine oil additive it will greatly improve the noise of the clutch be careful to put the correct amount in I believe the correct measurements is around 40 ml otherwise the clutch will start slipping

Thanks for the advice. It is not very noisy just slight rattle at the moment so I will see how it goes. Just need some good weather now.:flowers:

SteveThackery
1 hour ago, Paulb said:

Hello everyone add some liquid moly engine oil additive it will greatly improve the noise of the clutch be careful to put the correct amount in I believe the correct measurements is around 40 ml otherwise the clutch will start slipping

OK, well no disrespect to Paulb, but I'm going to recommend that you don't put anything in the engine that isn't approved or specified by Honda.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, SteveThackery said:

I agree with Steve. 

• Like 3

I've been using liquid Molly engine oil additive for a number of years in cars motorcycles and even a Honda pressure washer never had any trouble you should make sure you put the correct amount to the volume of your car or motorcycle oil many videos on YouTube for liquid Molly

• Like 1

I have a similar issue! Also a 2014 NC750X but only 4,000 miles on the clock

When stopped at the lights, clutch in is next to silent. When released to neutral there is this quiet ticking/rattling. 

Given there are no running issues I’m putting this down to just being what this bike sounds like

• Like 1
Spindizzy

If its not rattling a bit when released you probably have your clutch lever adjusted too tight.  Quick way to kill the clutch as well.

Should always be a bit of free play so you pull the lever a bit before any tension felt. 

• Like 1
Graham NZ
9 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

If its not rattling a bit when released you probably have your clutch lever adjusted too tight.  Quick way to kill the clutch as well.

Should always be a bit of free play so you pull the lever a bit before any tension felt. 

Absolutely correct.

Similarly there must be some freeplay in the throttle cables on DCT bikes or functioning will be affected negatively.

• Like 2

As explained earlier I use liquid Molly it will definitely make it sound quieter in fact it will even make whole engine sound quieter even the gearbox will feel much better changing gear I personally would recommend a very good quality engine oil first and then the correct measurement of liquid Molly oil additive I have had no trouble with this product in any of the vehicles I've used it in I have used it in a Ford Fiesta diesel Audi A3 diesel I currently own a VW Polo GT I also ran it in my petrol pressure washer every time I do an oil change I will put the correct amount into whatever vehicle Honda won't recommend this product because they don't endorse you will occasionally see it on sponsorship of race cars race motorcycles it will be like McDonald's recommending Burger King

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
larryblag

The Fiat Twinair is particularly sensitive to the type of oil. Fiat recommends 0W30. I think all I'm saying is it's best to use what the manufacturer recommends. 

The NC certainty isn't the quietest of engines. But you quickly get used to it. The Tracer 700 was always a bit tappety on tickover when warm but was actually injector noise. 

Krasimir

Same with me and my 2012 NC700X. 

I was planning to visit the dealer but it seems it is quite normal.

To add to that, i find shifting to first and second gears a bit hard and noisy. It might be u to how i wanted it to be - nice and smooth and silent.

I have aksed a guy who owned one for quite some time and he said that is normal ... 

I have ridden my brother's FMX 650 and they change a bit smoother. It is completely different bike though.  

• Like 1
Slowboy
On 03/07/2020 at 09:22, Krasimir said:

To add to that, i find shifting to first and second gears a bit hard and noisy. It might be u to how i wanted it to be - nice and smooth and silent.

I have aksed a guy who owned one for quite some time and he said that is normal ... 

I have ridden my brother's FMX 650 and they change a bit smoother. It is completely different bike though.  

All bikes are different. My NC was pretty much as you describe. I'd call it workmanlike but sturdy.

On 03/07/2020 at 09:22, Krasimir said:

Every Honda I have owned has clunked when selecting 1st gear, and the change from 1st to 2nd is always a bit rough.

It’s just the Honda way of building gearboxes I guess.

• Like 1
SteveThackery
36 minutes ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

Every Honda I have owned has clunked when selecting 1st gear, and the change from 1st to 2nd is always a bit rough.

In fact every motorbike.  All wet multi-plate clutches drag slightly even when the lever is fully pulled, because there is viscous oil between the driving and driven plates.  Obviously the amount of drag varies between bikes and on some it may not be noticeable.  However, it is essential that the gearbox input shaft continues to rotate when the clutch is pulled because you need the dog top faces to slide over each other until the dogs drop into engagement.

Have you tried selecting gears when the bike is stationary and switched off?  Half the time you need to rock it back or forth to get the gear to engage.  Well, without a small amount of clutch drag it'd be like that every time you tried to pull away from traffic lights, unless you were quick enough to catch it while the input shaft is still spinning from inertia.

Grumpy old man
6 hours ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

My Crf250l is nice and quiet most the time.

Tex
1 hour ago, Grumpy old man said:

My Crf250l is nice and quiet most the time.

My son’s CRF250 is nice and quiet until he starts it up. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3