• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Case

• Rocker66

• Xactly

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, well no disrespect to Paulb, but I'm going to recommend that you don't put anything in the engine that isn't approved or specified by Honda.

Normal, embarrassing isn't it,  also the thrust bearings rumble. To quote a very wise man (Tex) " The Nc sounds like two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin " 😂.

The time to worry is when it's not rattling. That because its stopped for some reason. 

lowrumblefan
On 08/06/2020 at 18:01, Ciaran1602 said:

They make a while host of rattles and squeaks and whines. There's the tyre noise through the front fairing, clutch rattles, I've heard a few manuals (particularly S's) with a distinct high pitch whine on light to moderate throttle till the exhaust drowns it out...many many more.

Earplugs and/or a louder aftermarket exhaust my friend. :angel:

Just picked up mine, a 2016 with 20,000 miles on the clock. The noise on it is similar to a worn bearing and grows quite loud at 30mph. The Honda dealer I bought it from will have a look in Jan. I'll report back.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
lowrumblefan

Brought the bike to the dealer. They test rode it and confirmed the noise is completely normal for a NC. They offered to let me test ride their courtesy bike, although not a like for like comparison as more recent, but sadly couldn't as had to find a place to join a work call. That settles it for me.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, lowrumblefan said:

Brought the bike to the dealer. They test rode it and confirmed the noise is completely normal for a NC. They offered to let me test ride their courtesy bike, although not a like for like comparison as more recent, but sadly couldn't as had to find a place to join a work call. That settles it for me.

Been there, done that. Mine has rattled from new (NC750X). It is a very quiet engine with the clutch lever pulled in. I believe it’s just the gears clattering together, probably the primary drive ones. Earplugs are the answer. BTW I have had several bikes that clatter when the clutch is in a released state. None of them has ever developed any actual  malfunction. Relax. Your dealer is not telling porkies though some don’t rattle because they happen to have a set of gears with the tolerances going the right way.

Steve Case

To repeat what I said in another post its the kerchunk of honda dependability, I fully expect it to be rattling like dried peas in a can when I hit 100K.

If it gets quiet then I'm gonna worry!

Rocker66
29 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

To repeat what I said in another post its the kerchunk of honda dependability, I fully expect it to be rattling like dried peas in a can when I hit 100K.

If it gets quiet then I'm gonna worry!

If that's the case my Multistrada with it's dry clutch and ventilated clutch cover must have been ultra reliable :) :)

DCP-0468.jpg

• Like 1
Steve Case

I'm pretty sure you didn't buy that to commute...

Rocker66
13 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

I'm pretty sure you didn't buy that to commute...

No I had a Deauville for that the Ducati was purely a leisure bike although I did sometime take it to work on really nice days.

I did take it to a Hornet’s nest do in Hay on Wye where most of the journey was in torrential rain though.

• Haha 1
Rocker66
16 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

No I had a Deauville for that the Ducati was purely a leisure bike although I did sometime take it to work on really nice days.

I did take it to a Hornet’s nest do in Hay on Wye where most of the journey was in torrential rain though.

I should have made it quite clear that the Hay on Wye trip was only one of the trips away that I used the Ducati for such as this one to The Lake District where it performed well on the Kirkstone Pass

DCP-0747.jpg

DCP-0760.jpg

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
Steve Case

I was just looking at 'touring' bikes on autotrader and under Honda there were a lot of deauvilles, couriers loved em but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it a touring bike.

That Multistrada is a lovely looking thing, would you have used it as a touring bike?

There was a loverly R1200RT on autodoodah, all the bits satnav, radio, heated seats, in a metallic beige. Post wizzy brakes, uncle tom cobbley and all... unfortuately most of them seem to be in silver and grey which is a good way to get taken out by blind motorists on grey overcast days.

Rocker66
9 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

I was just looking at 'touring' bikes on autotrader and under Honda there were a lot of deauvilles, couriers loved em but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it a touring bike.

It was a very capable tourer I took mine to Scotland and Ireland and it did job perfectly This was at Dingle.

DCP-1209.jpg

That Multistrada is a lovely looking thing, would you have used it as a touring bike?

See my post above ref The Lake District

Edited by Rocker66
Steve Case

depends what size you are, but I would need a Pan Euro for me & her.

Rocker66
26 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

depends what size you are, but I would need a Pan Euro for me & her.

The fact that it doesn’t suit your personal needs doesn’t stop it being a perfectly good tourer for many others.

2 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

If that's the case my Multistrada with it's dry clutch and ventilated clutch cover must have been ultra reliable :) :)

DCP-0468.jpg

I thought I was the only person on this planet who liked the original MultiStrada...I got ridiculed by my mate at the MC Show when they first came out and said I'd have one...my old mate Rick Proops at Rapbikes in North London has a cracker for sale...

I still like them! 

Honda Bob

I notice in MCN this week that six blokes are going touring to Benidorm in Southern Spain from Scunthorpe on Honda C90's for charity. You don't need a bike with all the fan dango bells and whistles to do some touring, you just need a bunch of mates and a bit of time. I bet they see a lot more of the country bimbling along at 45-50 mph, which is what touring is all about. 

• Like 1
Rocker66
35 minutes ago, Tel said:

I thought I was the only person on this planet who liked the original MultiStrada...I got ridiculed by my mate at the MC Show when they first came out and said I'd have one...my old mate Rick Proops at Rapbikes in North London has a cracker for sale...

I still like them! 

Whenever people went on about it being ugly I just told them that I couldn’t see it when I was riding it and as I bought it to ride not sit and look at that was fine by me.

• Like 3
Steve Case
16 hours ago, Honda Bob said:

I notice in MCN this week that six blokes are going touring to Benidorm in Southern Spain from Scunthorpe on Honda C90's for charity. You don't need a bike with all the fan dango bells and whistles to do some touring, you just need a bunch of mates and a bit of time. I bet they see a lot more of the country bimbling along at 45-50 mph, which is what touring is all about. 

As long as everyone did it it'd be a laugh.

Ihave been to the Scottish  border from Surrey via Wales on a C90.  great trip

been all the way toDunnet Head and back via the lakes and Wales on aMSX125 Grom another great trip.

also doe the aroundScotlandbit on a ST1300 pan again great.  size of bike  dosn't matter to me at least

• Like 2

I used my Deauville for touring perfectly happily, solo. It would cruise easily at 80mph. I know they had a reputation for being a bit dull but really it’s down to how you ride them. Nobody ever had to wait for me….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Slowboy
29 minutes ago, Xactly said:

I used my Deauville for touring perfectly happily, solo. It would cruise easily at 80mph. I know they had a reputation for being a bit dull but really it’s down to how you ride them. Nobody ever had to wait for me….

I have the same problem on my SV650. 😇

• Like 1
Steve Case

I personally think the engines on the nt700, sv650 and nc750 are up to two up touring. Unfortunately for me they are all physically too small.

I actually used my xl700v and it was ok solo but useless 2 up and the mpg wasn't much to write home about.

Moral of the story if i want to go 2 up touring i'd get a bike to do that job rather than try to make the nc fit, and after the tour the bike should still retain most of its value.

Rocker66
3 hours ago, Steve Case said:

I personally think the engines on the nt700, sv650 and nc750 are up to two up touring. Unfortunately for me they are all physically too small.

I actually used my xl700v and it was ok solo but useless 2 up and the mpg wasn't much to write home about.

Moral of the story if i want to go 2 up touring i'd get a bike to do that job rather than try to make the nc fit, and after the tour the bike should still retain most of its value.

That’s fine but many are happy (sometimes happier) to tour solo so those bikes are perfectly capable of being called tourers in my view.

• Like 1
Mr Toad
10 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

That’s fine but many are happy (sometimes happier) to tour solo so those bikes are perfectly capable of being called tourers in my view.

Absolutely, you can tour on anything and I've met people doing just that and a quick look at YouTube throws up many people doing amazing things with small machines.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t want to use a Deauville (or NC) for two-up touring, though I dare say it’s possible. But for me I find both the Deauville and NC are fine. These days I can’t really manage the weight of a pillion or a Pan European or similar which I’d prefer for touring with a pillion if I still could.

Steve Case

I met someone who said his perfect two up tourer was his GSXR1100, make of that what you will.

I would ride a C90 Cub to Spain for charity, but I sure as hell wouldn't ride it back. :D

• Haha 2