couple of questions from a newbie

Guest Nomad71

hello ok forgive my ignorance, but i have a couple of technical-ish questions so guess this best place for them. not had chain driven bike before (coming from belt driven scooter for my sins!!!) is there any thing i would need to do regularly to keep it running ok? i know about lubing after wet rides or once a week but wondered best way to do it!!! also would you say the nc700x is capable of doing 16-18k miles per year in all weathers? but also lasting longer than 3 1/2 yrs? scooter with 51k on clock at mo but it on its way out!!!! i know of honda reliability but hoping longevity comes into that too!!! many thanks for any advice or help

hopefully ordering one in next few weeks cant wait!!! :frantics:

Rocker66

Clean & lube chain on a regular basis. Treat the bike to a good coating of ACF50 to protect from corrusion. When washing bike use a good wax shampoo then a good quality wax polish

Mike5100

The chain thing seems to be a bit of a lottery. On my Versys, I rarely touched the chain - sold the bike to a mate and he's just changed the chain at 22k miles. Others on the Versys forum have looked after their chains as you are supposed to and have had to buy 3 new ones in that period.

I agree about the ACF50 - but don't spray it on (too expensive) - apply it with a brush quite thinly.

Mike

Chain check and lube every 500 mls or so , more if wet weather riding regular. ACF50 as said is the best anti-corrosion product about, dont wash it off though, rinse off the bike with cold water (when its cooled) and just keep checking it is still working throught the winter and re-apply as required (spray into pot and use brush), come spring or when the clowns stop chucking the salt about and we have had a few good downpours to wash it away , give the bike a good clean with Sdoc100 or the like and hopefully under the grime is a good as new bike :frantics:

Being half a car engine (and a honda) i would hope the donk has many many trouble free miles in it but remember the bike is also built to a price (all be it assembled in Japan) so some care will be need to keep it in top condition especially with the corrosive shite we get thrown all over the roads in winter.

I am not too keen on the oem tyres in the wet and soon as they wear i will be getting RP3 Michelins

The chain thing seems to be a bit of a lottery. On my Versys, I rarely touched the chain - sold the bike to a mate and he's just changed the chain at 22k miles. Others on the Versys forum have looked after their chains as you are supposed to and have had to buy 3 new ones in that period.

I agree about the ACF50 - but don't spray it on (too expensive) - apply it with a brush quite thinly.

Mike

There are those that think leaving the chain dry extends the life as lube traps grit and shite causing the wear which then causes stretch requiring adjustment , replacement

Cheers for the advice all just read the broken chain thread! Not good but will check with dealer before buying, but will be getting some ac50 or taking it to place that can do the whole bike just hope it lasts longer than the 51k miles the mp3 has managed so far

Mike

There are those that think leaving the chain dry extends the life as lube traps grit and shite causing the wear which then causes stretch requiring adjustment , replacement

Not the advice in the handbook! And not something I would suggest is a good idea - at least I'm not risking it!

I've always regularly cleaned my chain with WD40, but only occasionally lube with ordinary oils. I never ever use a sticky spray lube - hate the stuff.

I very very rarely wash my bike with water and generally use Mr Sheen or a similar type spray on everything. I even use Mr Sheen to clean my discs.....and before anyone screams in horror Mr Sheen is actually a type of degreasent and does not leave a wax film on your discs. If you give then an occasional wipe over with Mr Sheen and a clean cloth you'll see how grotty your discs are.

Edited by wozza

Mike

Not the advice in the handbook! And not something I would suggest is a good idea - at least I'm not risking it!

No i dont either but that came from the Yamaha offroad school in Wales through experience and believe me their chains get a lot more grief than a road based bike.

I've always regularly cleaned my chain with WD40, but only occasionally lube with ordinary oils. I never ever use a sticky spray lube - hate the stuff.

I very very rarely wash my bike with water and generally use Mr Sheen or a similar type spray on everything. I even use Mr Sheen to clean my discs.....and before anyone screams in horror Mr Sheen is actually a type of degreasent and does not leave a wax film on your discs. If you give then an occasional wipe over with Mr Sheen and a clean cloth you'll see how grotty your discs are.

WD40 is not generally recommended as it can infiltrate the 'O' rings and attack the lubricant. It is amazing how much modern chains can take! Isn't it strange that we don't trust the handbook when advising us how to look after chains. I'm also amazed that 'Mr Sheen' can be used on discs - but again I'm not going to try it!