Torque wrench worries

Mister Paul

Mister Paul

I bought a new torque wrench. It was a cheaper one but I bought it from Screwfix so I thought it would be ok.

And I don't know that it isn't. I just get nervous when torqueing things up once you get over 30nm. I've just fitted a hugger to my 500X. This requires taking the footpeg hanger off. The bolts are supposed to be tightened to 37nm. Being careful I set it to 28, clicked it, then 30, then 32. Nice clicks all the way. 34 however and before it clicked it started to feel a little soft, you know like when the thread is starting to distort? I didn't push it for the click, I stopped there and left it. The hangar isn't going anywhere. Was I right to? Does that soft feeling mean that the threads are going or is it normal on the way to a higher torque?

If you’re ever over DURHAM way let me know and we can test it using my Laser Tools digital torque reader, certified accuracy <2% margin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

I got one from Aldi and had a similar experience,  can't trust it, but, I  removed my swing arm to grease it up and used the 'elbow ' torque wrench only to find after a days riding I had play in the swing arm I used the torque wrench at the  correct setting and got a few more turns before clicking and got rid of the play. So I now use it on wheels and swing arms and the like but certainly not on anything aluminium and engine casing not sure what to do if I ever have to change head gaskets or the like.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
3 minutes ago, wjvh said:

If you’re ever over DURHAM way let me know and we can test it using my Laser Tools digital torque reader, certified accuracy <2% margin.

Oooo! Could I, could I pleeeeze :yes:

I'm in Northumberland :yes:

Edited by Grumpy old man

Yeah, I’m away next week but around 3-9 August, then away again. Chester le street, pretty easy access off the A1.

• Like 1
Rev Ken

Sounds as if you might be right. If you bought it from Screwfix I expect there was a certificate to say it was accurate, but I suppose it is possible it's faulty. Why not take it back and ask them if they would check it out. It is worth a try. Of course you could pay for it to be calibrated from a commercial firm but I guess that might cost more than the wrench!

Just seen the offer to check it out - sounds good to me!

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 2
Grumpy old man

Brill, thanks, I'm away for the next few weeks I'll give you a PM when I get back. Be good to meet and have a coffee. 

Thanks

• Like 1
Andy m

A UK calibration certificate less than 12 months old is the only way to know. If its Chinese and doesn't have one you may as well assume the ring spanner marked 12 does 12 Nm. 

That soft feeling is the thread going. 

The only job on a bike that needs a torque wrench is the cylinder head. The Allen key used to undo foot hangers is quite sufficient to do them up again. Just go until one hand won't move it and check again in 20 miles. 

Andy

• Like 2