OBD port +

davebike

davebike

I cannot see any mention so hopping not to be repeating

I just been playing you can get a Honda bike OBD port plug  to standard (AS car and Triumph ) lead  added a OBD2 bluetooth adapter £5 on the bay of fleas ! and Torque pro  and vola lots of real time data I was interested in voltage and engine temperature

Works with most modern Android phones  and of course access to fault codes

• Thanks 2
Defender

That's an interesting question, I have a ScangaugeII OBDII reader in my cars, I know they are able to decode the information from different manufacturers, I've used them on BMW, Ford, Honda (Cars) and Land Rover, but would it'd convert the Honda motorcycle code?

I would need an adaptor lead to convert the four pin motorcycle OBD2 connector to the more common sixteen pin ODBII connector. 

jeremyr62

I wonder if motorcycles are using a standard OBDII connector then. I have one somewhere for my FJR, Will have to find the plug on the NC.

Edited by jeremyr62
46 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

I wonder if motorcycles are using a standard OBDII connector then. I have one somewhere for my FJR, Will have to find the plug on the NC.

No, only Triumph did the honourable thing and went OBDII. All the other makers try to tie you to their service network which is why Dave has posted this. It seems, if I understand correctly, that he’s found a cable that can link the a Honda service port to the OBDII one.

fred_jb

The BMW GS used to have a non-standard round connector which needed an adaptor cable, but changed to the standard type on the latest model. Maybe that was mandated by the  Euro 5 standard, and if so then I expect that is the case for most new bikes now.

Andy m

The full OBD2 is just too bulky a connector for bikes. Few bike parts have enough volume to support anything that special code wise and the manufacturers tend to base them on car parts which US legislation requires to have OBD. The bike connectors are a free for all so some try to lock them out while others just land on weird plugs accidentally. 

Just a case of getting the pins in the right place. 

Is the phone app a freebie or pay once? 

Andy

Wedgepilot

If it helps, I've used the Torque app on my android phone with a cheapie blue tooth OBD connector, it works well on both my cars. It's fascinating seeing all the real time data. The torque app is a one time payment and it wasn't that expensive.

Edited by Wedgepilot
davebike

I should have said  the adaptor Honda 4 pin to OBD2  was from that auction site an cost more than Torque!  but will get used at work as well !