Possible electrical fault on 2014 NC750X

Sbw

So after 3 months riding this bike it has given me my first scare..

I was riding at about 30 and the dash started flashing on and off. By the time I got to traffic lights (~30s) the engine light came on (constant not flashing). The dash continued to flash on and off until about a minute later I lost all power. I pulled over and took the key out but after twisting to on the dash didn’t light up and the starter switch gave no response. 

Pushed the bike about 1/4mile and parked up. Gave one last try out of frustration and the thing came to life with no issue - the engine light isn’t even on anymore. 

My guess is either

a. some loose wiring

b. Dodgy dash display (guessing unlikely as bike wouldn’t start for a bit)

c. Something to do with the heat and rain combination today

I tried again for good measure an hour later and it started fine no problem. 

Im now away from home with limited tools (just what’s in that little nc toolkit in the frunk) and need to ride about 120miles tomorrow. Is it worth going to a mechanic given the bike now looks fine? Anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Sam

I’m no expert but my guess is that it’s an electrical issue and some shorting out caused by the rain. I’d check all the main connections, look for corrosion damage, clean then up with a small wire brush and Wd40.

as to the current dilemma - have you got enough fuel in the tank for 120 miles? If so then get her going and chance it. If not then you’re going to have to stop at least once so plan that stop at your convenience and based on where you’d prefer to break down. 

• Like 1

What Will said. If the bike is behaving normally at the moment any checks done will merely show it’s running normally.. 

It definitely sounds like damp has got into the electrics - probably a connection - and given the issue so, at some time convenient to yourself, it would pay to go through them all. There’s a connection on the back of the dash - I would be starting there. 

outrunner
9 minutes ago, Tex said:

There’s a connection on the back of the dash - I would be starting there. 

Worth a look, the only time my NC gave bother was one time after I washed it and I think water got in the dash as the sealing rubber on the plug was not fitted properly, must have been like that from new as It had never been apart. Refitted the plug properly and have never had the problem again, even driving for a couple of hours in the rain.

Andy.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll go out and get a can of wd40 and some wire wool tomorrow morning. Not impressed by the weather it looks like I’ll be facing for either my ride or repairs...

MatBin

Isn't the starter solenoid up near the rear mudguard, possibly right in line of fire for lots of rain water? Might be worth looking at that too.

trisaki

Worth checking tightness of battery connections  can give all sorts of problems 

MikeBike
22 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Isn't the starter solenoid up near the rear mudguard, possibly right in line of fire for lots of rain water? Might be worth looking at that too.

I think it's somewhere forward of the frunk - from when there was a recall on them - may be worth checking the recalls based on your VIN number on Honda MC site

MatBin

Sorry, voltage regulator is the thing local to rear mudguard.

davebike

Starter relay  next to the battery on right

Battery terminals always worth checking

17 hours ago, Sbw said:

Im now away from home with limited tools (just what’s in that little nc toolkit in the frunk) and need to ride about 120miles tomorrow. Is it worth going to a mechanic given the bike now looks fine? Anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Sam

Did you make it home, Sam?

All these responses look very helpful. I got as far as taking the windscreen off before realising I still couldn’t properly get at the dash connection without some needle nose pliers. In the process I took the screws out to try and release it and the thread has now gone in the top screw...

This is a new problem as the dash is no longer flush with the metal “seat” that it clamps to but for the time being duck tape will keep that bearable. 

8 hours ago, trisaki said:

Worth checking tightness of battery connections  can give all sorts of problems 

Great shout, I thought that as well - the positive wasn’t even finger tight!

8 hours ago, MikeBike said:

I think it's somewhere forward of the frunk - from when there was a recall on them - may be worth checking the recalls based on your VIN number on Honda MC site

Will definitely make sure I do this - the bike only had ~ 4,000 miles on it when I got it so likely the previous weekenders who owned it weren’t completely checking these things. 

8 hours ago, MatBin said:

Sorry, voltage regulator is the thing local to rear mudguard.

I’ll try checking but don’t know what I’m doing as Haynes don’t do a manual for the bike and that’s what I’ve previously always relied on. 

1 hour ago, wjvh said:

Did you make it home, Sam?

I was going away rather than home but managed to borrow a car instead - seemed like an offer I shouldn’t turn down given the predicted weather!

Again, thanks all for your help

• Like 1

Worth mentioning - having tightened the battery screw (and taped up a bizarre unaccountable exposed figure of eight style connector) I went out in the pouring rain for an hour. No issues noted!

• Like 3

you might want to look at a previous topic called `a long electrical story with any advice sought` by crofty.he had issues with the connector supplying the dash.

very informative

ride safe