1st to 2nd gear a bit notchy

tc3

So first service tomorrow. I think the bike idles a lil high as putting into 1st gear from neutral regardless of bike being hot or cold does give a little lurch if you know what i mean. I will mention to the mechanic that going from 1st to 2nd seems notchy and is not smooth. Anyone have any ideas as what it may be. All other gears are nice and smooth and going down the gearbox is also nice and smooth

Doing a google search it would seem a lot of different bikes have the notchy 1st to 2nd gear change. Many say preloading the clutch lever usually helps but does anyone know what that technique actually is?

Doing a google search it would seem a lot of different bikes have the notchy 1st to 2nd gear change. Many say preloading the clutch lever usually helps but does anyone know what that technique actually is?

Hi TC3

its not preloading the clutch but preloading the gear lever - so after setting off in first as you accelerate put some (not a lot) of pressure upward then when ready to change pull in the clutch a little and drop throttle back a little and then the gear will gearbox should engage 2nd. The whole idea is so that the clutch plates are spinning at almost the same speed as the engine when you engage the next gear.

There is a good video from roadcraftnottingham on YouTube about this.

I also found that you need to adjust the clutch with more play - mine has about 1.5cm

hope this helps

Old Man

Edited by Old Man

Hi TC3

its not preloading the clutch but preloading the gear lever - so after setting off in first as you accelerate put some (not a lot) of pressure upward then when ready to change pull in the clutch a little and drop throttle back a little and then the gear will gearbox should engage 2nd. The whole idea is so that the clutch plates are spinning at almost the same speed as the engine when you engage the next gear.

There is a good video from roadcraftnottingham on YouTube about this.

I also found that you need to adjust the clutch with more play - mine has about 1.5cm

hope this helps

Old Man

Thank you for the explanation. I will try this and see if i can get the hang of it as probably takes some practice.

Well i could not wait so went out for a half hour and tried the technique and in 75% of changes from 1st to 2nd the change was a lot smoother. The other 25% was due to me getting the technique wrong. As with everything else it will become 2nd nature once you keep doing it :)

I think its the nature of bike sequential gear boxes with neutral one up from first. I've never owned a bike that was as sweet in first to second shift as all the following shifts.

Guest chickenflaps

I think the knack is to ensure that when you change up, you slightly roll off the throttle so that the whole drive isn't "tense", and you then pull in the clutch at the same time and change gear. you'll then find that every upchange is smooth. This isn't easy to describe, and is really a "seat of the pants" thing. Once you've done it right, you'll know what I mean. I chills me to hear the clonky changes that most bikers take for granted in the daily rush hour into the city - I would bet hard cash every bike would produce silent changes as described. I do also get a crash into first gear from neutral at a standstill, there seems to be no way round this other than change down silently at a few mph and sit at the red lights with the clutch pulled in while in first.

it is a honda thing ... with time you get use to it ... preload gear lever roll off throtle is good on any bike you get smooth changes and a long lasting cluctch

and at the traficc lights always on first and clutch lever pressed and eyes on the rearview mirror... leaving a bit of space in front of me so i can move out if driver in the back is getting to close or not playing attention...

Neutral to first always clunks. 1st to second sometimes clunks if not judged accurately, thereafter it is easy. Me? Well I only use the clutch for getting into first gear and when changing down - but even then not always. I find it smoother, as does my pillion passenger, and much faster. If you get it wrong there is a lot of complaining from the gearbox, but get it right and it is smoother, quicker, and gives a sense of superiority to those who can't do it (I made the last bit up).

Edited by Rev Ken
  • 1 month later...

I do also get a crash into first gear from neutral at a standstill, there seems to be no way round this other than change down silently at a few mph and sit at the red lights with the clutch pulled in while in first.

I - accidentally - made some folk jump the other day when I put her in to first gear at a red traffic light. With me being at a standstill the "clonk" presumably was too distinctive for them to handle :-). I find the "shifting down whilst coming to a stop" works quite well. Other than that I think it helps to make the ride a bit smoother (if this is what you want) when trying to push the mpg to new limits.