Remove Handle Bar Insert

Kubs007

Trying to install Kaoko throttle lock - first step is to remove the bar end weight - no problem - off in a few seconds.

Second step however has me stumped.. They want the handle bar insert inside the bar removed by using two screw drivers and pulling motion all at the same time.  

Think I need to grow a third hand.  What a bother for what should be a five minute job.

Anyone have advice?  I know - ask the wife to pull on it?  LOL

Long screw in the bar weight with a mate on the end with pliers, you with two small screwdrivers to push in the tabs.. 

Andy m

I found needle nosed pliers worked with a short bolt screwed in for extra pull. Push in to unload tangs, squeeze with the pliers, hold, pull out on the bolt. Another ten minutes and I'd have been getting help from a couple of mates, Black and Decker 😠

Andy

davebike

Slide hammer with M6 adaptor is the way to go  OK  I a pro so have LOTS of tools

Mister Paul

If you move the grips out of the way you can get to the two holes in the bars that the tangs sit in. Push them in and pull the weight out. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mister Paul said:

If you move the grips out of the way you can get to the two holes in the bars that the tangs sit in. Push them in and pull the weight out. 

+1

This is on the throttle side - so even removing grips does not expose the two holes on the bar - blocked by by the throttle tube.  Also installing Oxford heated grips so the grips are off already.

Anyway - got it out.  Fired some DW40 inside.  Vice grip on the screw and a hammer to the vice grip.  Out in 30 seconds.

That was fun.  Not.  :drool:

Thanks for everyone's input.

• Like 2
Mister Paul
17 hours ago, Kubs007 said:

This is on the throttle side - so even removing grips does not expose the two holes on the bar - blocked by by the throttle tube.  Also installing Oxford heated grips so the grips are off already.

Anyway - got it out.  Fired some DW40 inside.  Vice grip on the screw and a hammer to the vice grip.  Out in 30 seconds.

That was fun.  Not.  :drool:

Thanks for everyone's input.

It's easier on the throttle side. You just have to loosen the screws on the bar controls and slide the whole package inwards.