16k service spark plugs replaced

Steveg

I am so ashamed of the trade I work in ! 

I am thinking of a new C125  it will not be going near a dealer for even the 500 service !

nc plugs Honda say check 16k replace 32 k miles but good fro at least 50 k miles so dealer replaces at 16k 

!

• Like 1
Andy m

It's dumbing down. They can't trust dealer technicians to inspect anything because that involves the skill levels of a proper mechanic. Proper mechanics will find more gainful employment than the dealers. Instead, they simply put new ones in and don't worry about the cost, waste, higher potential for wear on the threads.... 

Honda need to drop Wavy Mavis as their technical author. 

I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't do it yourself you have to just treat the lot as a big package and assume its done right. The numbers they wrote down for the valves could be based on their plan for the lottery, they could have used chip fat, there could be any number of fasteners loose or about to strip. There probably aren't because its easier to do it right and even the dealers can get a bad reputation that will bust them. Independents survive on reputation and are usually the ones frustrated by the dealers slackness, which is why they tend to be better. I still know a few who decant cheapest Chinese brand oil into old Millers cans to give their customers a warm feeling. 

Andy

• Sigh 1

Key is finding a good independent , one I used a few times were terrible

E.g.over filling oil by 500 MLS ...

Not cleaning brake pistons before fitting new brake pads etc just sloppy the family car a Skoda citigo

Last service they spilt oil when changing and was a real mess before I cleaned engine up 🥺 really don't mind paying a fair price for a decent job but seems hard to find now

Edited by Steveg
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Steveg said:

Key is finding a good independent , one I used a few times were terrible

E.g.over filling oil by 500 MLS ...

Not cleaning brake pistons before fitting new brake pads etc just sloppy the family car a Skoda citigo

Last service they spilt oil when changing and was a real mess before I cleaned engine up 🥺 really don't mind paying a fair price for a decent job but seems hard to find now

So, did your bike dealer do a decent job at a decent price, other than changing plugs a bit early, if so perhaps put the plug swap behind you?

I'm afraid I do not really trust most main dealers but there are honourable exceptions I am sure. And not all independents are that good. When I lived in Essex it took me ages to find someone I could trust to do a good job. Here in Norfolk I trust my local independent to do MOTs and change tyres but I would rather travel a few miles to More Moto for valve checks etc and be confident it was done properly. There are one or two shocking dealers in this area. Giles and I both know of one. Pretty sure the screen cock up on Ruby was the result of a Honda dealer in Suffolk.

57 minutes ago, MatBin said:

So, did your bike dealer do a decent job at a decent price, other than changing plugs a bit early, if so perhaps put the plug swap behind you?

Hi Yep did a decent job , sorted with dealer they are fitting a pair of tyres at cost with no fitting charge so thats fair enough so £169 for a pair of avon storm 3dxm fitted to bike

Don't normally buy new bikes with a warranty (nc is only 2nd new bike bought in 30 years of riding) so limited dealing with main dealers as normally do as much as I can myself

I'm never out to cause problems but if there is an issue I try to address it  and in this case sorted so thumbs up to Sutton motorcycles , lifes too short

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg
  • Like 2