16k service spark plugs replaced

Steveg

Hi

Just picked up my 2019 nc750x from its 16k service

They have replaced spark plugs thought iridium spark plugs needed changing at 32k ?

Should they have changed them ?

Honda main dealer

Regards Steve

steelhorseuk

My 2012 NC700SA manual says 32K for a plug change. I doubt the 750 would be less than that.

Just phoned dealer who basically said it was a fixed £350 for 16k service when I said it did not need spark plugs changed dealer said then basically I got the spark plugs changed for free .... 

I disagreed 

steelhorseuk
14 minutes ago, Steveg said:

I'm not a happy bunny

Do you mind naming the dealer Steve ?

I know Iridium plugs are not cheap but that seems rather a lot.

I changed mine at the beginning of the year and now I am going to dig out the receipt to check how much I paid for them.

I would be inclined to go back to the dealer and have them explain why they were changed at 16k.

How many miles has the bike covered ?.

Grumpy old man
6 minutes ago, Steel Horse UK said:

I know Iridium plugs are not cheap but that seems rather

I paid £24 each 18 months ago from a Honda dealer.

11 minutes ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Do you mind naming the dealer Steve ?

I know Iridium plugs are not cheap but that seems rather a lot.

I changed mine at the beginning of the year and now I am going to dig out the receipt to check how much I paid for them.

I would be inclined to go back to the dealer and have them explain why they were changed at 16k.

How many miles has the bike covered ?.

Sutton motorcycles Bromsgrove

16700 miles

• Thanks 1
Rocker66

If as they say there is a fixed price for the service with or without the plugs you might as well have the plugs.

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Just checked out of interest on the subject.

I bought mine online from Wemoto.com (worlds end moto) back in February this year (2020) for £19.13 each (£38.26) plus VAT, delivered.

7 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

If as they say there is a fixed price for the service with or without the plugs you might as well have the plugs.

if they don't need to be changed why charge for the plugs when Honda say they don't need changing 

Edited by Steveg
  • Like 1
Grumpy old man

I'd ask for the old ones back they have 16000 miles left on them.

They certainly didn't fit new plugs in mine at 16000 and I was on the Honda service plan.

That was the last service I had them do.

Edited by Grumpy old man
Rocker66
Just now, Steveg said:

I agree but if they don't need to be changed why charge for the plugs

Why not if it’s not costing the customer any extra

Grumpy old man

If they have itemised the plugs on the bill they must have charged.

• Like 1

Yep parts and labour itemized including the spark plugs they emailed me bill so did not see when in shop , I think it's BS 

Edited by Steveg
Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Steveg said:

I would rather pay 50 quid less 

I agree but if they advertise a fixed price for a service then you accept it or not.

steelhorseuk
1 minute ago, Steveg said:

I would rather pay 50 quid less 

Yes indeed!

Not to mention the environmental issue/cost in producing these plugs which are designed for 32K miles.

What are they doing with the perfectly good set they removed...

• Thanks 1
KingJames

350 for the 16k inc valve clearances sounds great.

Spark plugs inspected and cleaned I would expect, changed if signs of needing it before the next inspection of them based upon the service intervals.

• Like 2
steelhorseuk
Just now, KingJames said:

350 for the 16k inc valve clearances sounds great.

Spark plugs inspected and cleaned I would expect, changed if signs of needing it before the next inspection of them based upon the service intervals.

They would have required your bike the night before the service day to have completed valve clearance checks.

Did they Steve ?

Grumpy old man

On reflection £350 for 16000 miles service which includes valves and air filter, oil and filter doesn't sound over the top for a Honda dealer.

yep dropped bike to them on Saturday

Mechanic wrote out before and after valve clearances as asked for so that was good and multiple adjustments needed

I'm just confused why they change spark plugs early , I spoke to mechanic who said no problems found , just don't make sense

I hate waste , my bikes are never over serviced just per schedule

Dont have a problem with Suttons , they are local thats why I use them , just did not make sense to me re plugs

price wise they were competitive as well

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg

If they changed them in with the fixed price don't worry.

Though a problem I find with fixed price servicing, is if you take your car say for it's 4 year 48,000 mile main service where all filter's need replacing, but the car has only done 24,000 miles they only change the parts needed for a 24,000 mile service,  but you have been charged the 4 year 48,000 service cost.

I found this ripoff at Skoda & Citroen dealers years ago.

MikeBike

Manual for 750X says Replace at 32000 miles, and at 16000 miles to Inspect

Inspect = clean, adjust, lubricate or replace if necessary

• Like 1

Service schedule shows inspection at 16k, replacement at 32k, so if the scheduled service was fixed price it wouldn't have included replacement of plugs presumably, so dealer's right you got them for free. Whether they needed to be replaced is another matter.

• Like 1