Brake pads

Ozzieflyer

Poll: Brake pads.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of brake pads do you like best on the NC?

• OEM
    • Organic
    • Semi Sintered
    • Sintered Double H or like
    • Not sure

Andy m

They are all the same except the packaging. Just like breakfast cereal, new with added zing, crackle and pop. 

Show me a roller test result or track MFDD number if you think you can prove otherwise. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
Ozzieflyer
3 hours ago, Andy m said:

They are all the same except the packaging. Just like breakfast cereal, new with added zing, crackle and pop. 

Show me a roller test result or track MFDD number if you think you can prove otherwise. 

Andy

You do have a point. 
They all make you stop. 😆

• Haha 1
Grumpy old man

I use Organic mainly because I feel they'll be kinder to the discs and to  be honest they seem to stop me ok. Which would be best for long descents? @Andy m?

Andy m

The metal in sintered allegedly conducts heat away so will slow the effects of overheating. The trouble is we don't have a predictable cycle of use. Mostly the brakes are too cold, hence my dislike of twin discs. Unless you race or your commute is down the Obersaltzberg you won't find a perfect solution. 

Pads are made of the most vile rubbish imaginable. Factory floor sweepings, rust and swarf, coal dust, rubber, tree sap and the infamous "friction dust". This is basically sand and goo scraped out of the bottom of an oil refinery. The manufacturers have made a whole industry out of describing this mess in terms that embarrass snake oil salesmen. The "industrial secret" of ExtraStopMax with pZazz is typically an extra shovel of sweepings and a bit less coal dust. What they then do is simply test a variety to give a variation of friction, build up time, friction maintenance, hot performance, wear etc. They have some idea that extra copper swarf is better with heat and wear but has lower total friction but it is never exact. The horrible term "feel" usually amounts to how much pressure you need to apply before retardation noticeably builds up. This is not my area of expertise, I'm usually in the fight defending the calliper and EBS and blaming the linings, or better still walking away because the actuator is working fine. 

I buy the cheapest with a known European brand name (not Goldfren) from a known motor factor (Wemoto or Fowlers) . What you are paying for is mostly a controlled process to get the backing and mounting pins right. All the makers do multiple brands so a Honda, Brembo, AP, Marchesini could well be the same. Goldfren off E-bay are mostly knock off and the dimensions, particularly the backing mounts will vary. These are consumables, so I just consume them, nothing to worry about if genuine. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2

I like organic best. When the pad material is nearly worn down I replace the pads. Being green, or something, I then put the old pads in a jar filled with water and 2 fluid ounces of Baby Bio. After a few weeks the pad material re-grows to the original thickness, though I do have to take a rasp file to smooth down the high spots. Any small holes in the material can be filled with Rice Krispies and Booga Glue mix, then filed down after hardening. Good as new, though you do have to be careful not to touch them ‘cos they’re a bit toxic. Formula is C-19.

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Goldfren off E-bay are mostly knock off and the dimensions, particularly the backing mounts will vary. These are consumables, so I just consume them, nothing to worry about if genuine. 

Andy

One genuine seller of Goldfren brake pads on the bay of e  is   imighthavewhaturlooking4  at

Motor Cycle Parts Ltd

250 Great North Road

Doncaster, Woodlands

South Yorkshire

DN6 7HP

I have used Goldfren pads successfully on two bikes MZ Skorpion Traveller & a Kawasaki ZZR600 e6f

Though the pads S33 I tried on the rear of the NC quickly marked up the disc so I discarded them.

I also found like Andy that Goldfren bike fit catalogue was not always accurate, in my case I took them down to the shop and got the correct sized pads.

Edited by skorpion
  • Like 1
Empty_Ten

I’m pretty with EBC HH.  I find them reasonably priced and I like the feel/performance of them.

I’ve used Brembo SC and SA before as well which to me had no noticeable difference to the EBC, but were a fair bit more expensive.

Both were a significant improvement over the stock pads in my MT10.

Best I have used and currently in NC  EBC EPFA226HH yes not the listed pad but fit just fine and work !

• Thanks 1
Defender

I've used EBC and am  currently using SBS in addition to the OEM Honda pads, I'm not so impressed by the SBS pads, not as good as the EBC's,  but as someone previously said, they all stop you!

I have a set of Nissin pads to go in next, at some point I'll need a new front disc rotor too.

Wedgepilot

I changed from OEM to EBC HH, honestly couldn't tell the difference. The EBC were a bit cheaper though.