Brake Pad replacement torque settings

Steveg

Hi

Going to service / change brake pads this week , just checking torque settings are the below correct :

front brake mounting bolts 30nm

front brake pad pin 17nm

front master cyclinder reservoir cover screws 1.5nm

rear brake mounting bolt 22nm

rear brake pad pin 17 nm

are both rear brake mounting bolts the same torque as want to remove caliper to clean , not just remove the rear brake mounting bolt at rear  and lift caliper up

Cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg
Grumpy old man

I could be completely wrong but I don't really worry to much about torque settings I just tend to nip them but I do use thread lock.

^^Agreed, I think a lot of torque settings are there to stop people leaning on a long spanner and complaining when the threads strip. Japanese alloy in the 70's could be very soft.

Wedgepilot

If the bolt needed a good heave to get it loose, I'll give a similar heave to tighten it up. Plus threadlock on important stuff. That's always worked for me. I do have a torque wrench but rarely use it.

Front pads changed today 17k miles approx 2mm left on front pads

Front caliper was really covered in road crap as had not had caliper off yet since I bought it  , normally clean calipers before / after winter but some reason did not , will do next time as just makes things easier however cleaned up well , glad I had a pair of piston pliers only slight issue was  front caliper pin was really dificult to undo but came out eventually

Rear caliper alot cleaner and soon sorted ,  rear brake pads still look almost new at 17k miles so cleaned and re-used

In the end did not use torque wrench on rear brake calipers as difficult access , just did by hand and marked bolts

Next job clean and lube rear suspension linkages , will wait until garage is warmer as frozen today

cheers Steveg

BTW fitted EBC FA196HH front pads

Are the correct fitment for the rear EBC FA496HH  to match up the rear pads after the winter ?

Cheers Steve